• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear Main Seal Replacement Party

Skwerly

NAXJA Forum User
Okay, I finally gave in. My Jeep looks horrible going down the road, and smells even worse. Anyone willing to come help me replace my RMS? Preferably, someone who has already done it, and has a clue!

I will pay generously for the help, and provide all food/beverages. Weekdays are always best, but almost anything works. I have seen plenty of articles on doing this change, and none of them make it look any more fun lol. I also do NOT want to pay a shop some egregious amount of money to do it. Gotta get this done before SoCal Fest so I don't stress out about it anymore.

So, who's it going to be? C'mon over. :D

This not that difficult. Do your research, buy all your gaskets, seals, and Mopar RTV, have your tools and jacks on hand, and give it a go. Degrease the engine at a car wash stall before attempting to make your life easier. Wear goggles when removing the oil pan bolts. There is so much info on RMS install online, that you don't need help.

Derek.

Do yourself a favor and go to the dealer and the seal and the one piece pan gasket. This is the only time I would recommend this.

It is very easy to get the pan off on a lifted jeep and take your time getting the old seal out. Also take the starter out to give a little room.

After you get the pan off pull the rear main bearing carrier off, this takes the bottom 1/2 of the seal out and then you need to push the rear seal from one side, you will see it starting to come out the other side. Pull it out when you can fully grip it and then clean the area really well.

Oil up the new one and slide it in and put the other 1/2 in the rear main bearing carrier then dab a little black RTV where the seal meets and put the bearing carrier back on. Torque to I think 60 Ft lbs(verify this torque).

Take your time in getting the pan gasket in place and seats correctly or the pan gasket will leak at the rear area, you will know what I am talking about when you see the pan gasket at the rear seal area.

I hope this helps in pointing you in the right direction.

Leep

i'll come over and help you do it if u want... i need to drain my diffs and refill ...... just gotta find someone to watch my boys..

Torque Main 85 with oil.

Okay, I'm going to attempt this myself, does anyone wanna come over and give a hand? I realize I can get it done alone, but it's always cool having someone there to point out if yer pulling a bonehead. :D

well my leaf bushings wont be in till tomorrow afternoon so i can help u do ur seal tomorrow and the we can do a quick fix on mine lol.. pm me directions and a good time to head over tomorrow...

Well, I just got under there with the rig idling, and there is so much crap and grime that I cannot tell WHERE the leak is coming from. Seems from in between the tranny and engine, but nobody can be sure lol. And, I've done something to my back here lately so it's really friggin painful to climb under there and back out again.

I'm thinking I have a "quick fix" idea for Big Bear, and I'll fix the actual issue when I get home. I dunno what I've done to myself, but for like two weeks my upper back is killing me lol. Sigh...

I'll get 'er done today... I haves me a trick up my sleeve so that I can limp it to Big Bear without it looking like a smoke bomb on the road. I can put another quart of oil in, no bigee. You should SEE this thing smoke, though. And right now, I just can't be getting under that Jeep; the back really is telling me no lol.

wow that sucks bro well if u dont get it fixed by the time i get back from denver on the 23rd i'll help ya

Back