• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

roll cage

Just start with the T&J cage and add to it. Probably best bet,

If it were mine, I'd opt for the upgrade to DOM over HREW.

ok. well custom = big bucks typically.

what he said. The T&J kit is going to run you what you're likely to pay just for metal having something custom made for you. but like Andy said, Pirate does good work, his and Tony's bumpers look great and those guys have a rep for quality.

HEWR sucks for stuff like that, i made the horrible choice of making outter rock rail tubes out of some scrap HERW tubing i had, Lasted 1 trip.

Lol for rockrails yes HREW would suck, but for a roll over (not high speed) HREW would work fine in the jeep. DOM is better but cost lot more.

Lol for rockrails yes HREW would suck, but for a roll over (not high speed) HREW would work fine in the jeep. DOM is better but cost lot more.

X2

DOM = about same structural strength as HREW.

HREW just doesn't have the same surface strength and that is why 96JeepSpeed is complaining about his rock rails.

Typically, it is common for any 'exposed' tube to be DOM and all the interior tubes are (thinner) HREW in a lot of buggies.

FWIW Goatman's old rig (Cal's now) is all HREW and it has survived multiple rolls and land on it's roof and seems to hold up fine.

HREW for an internal cage is A-OK.

HREW and CREW are similar in their properties.

well i wanted to do dom or chromolly which one would be better for a full internal cage

Better?

Chromo is better if it is done properly (proper heat treat and tig welded).

So, you never drive on the freeway? I love it when people say something is good for a slow speed roll yet they drive to and from the trail........

X2

DOM = about same structural strength as HREW.

FWIW Goatman's old rig (Cal's now) is all HREW and it has survived multiple rolls and land on it's roof and seems to hold up fine.

HREW for an internal cage is A-OK.

HREW is OK but DOM is better. I wouldn't do Chromo unless I had funds to maintain it. Race cars use Chromo but they are highly maintained.

not to highjack but do you need to have any sort of bracket attached to the body on the inside (other than the floor)? my cage moves vibrates like crazy going down the highway and was unsure if this was normal?

So, you never drive on the freeway? I love it when people say something is good for a slow speed roll yet they drive to and from the trail........

HREW is OK but DOM is better. I wouldn't do Chromo unless I had funds to maintain it. Race cars use Chromo but they are highly maintained.

Do you drive your jeep on the freeway with no cage right now? its not going to make it any worse, its more in the design of the cage and triangulation you use then the lil difference between DOM vs HREW

If you are going to be racing jeepspeed or build a nascar chromo is fine, inside the jeep DOM or Chromo is lot of extra money spent that you dont really need. The jeep it self holds up not too bad, a HREW cage would be fine.

Last edited:
Back