• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

XJ + 18 inches of water = problems

Mighty.Mighty_XJ

NAXJA Forum User
Well after last weekend's fiasco, the only issue I see with the XJ so far is that the power door locks don't work. I have 2 different types of remotes, one for my remote start & the factory 1 button remote and neither will lock/unlock the doors since she took on water. BUT ... the doors lock automatically when the ignition is turned on, as they are supposed to (had this done when the remote start was installed). Forgot to add that the power door lock switches on the doors also do not work, but the windows roll up & down.

So can anyone tell me where to look for the fix? It's possible that the fuse box under the dash got wet (not sure). Everything else works, and I'm still in the cleaning/drying process, haven't got to the repair segment yet.
Thanks guys.

What year? I know you have a 96-down, looks like 92 from your profile... I believe the relays to be under the kick panel on the passenger side. Sadly my MJ has no power options yet so I'm not 100% sure on that.

I would start by checking the fuses by the drivers feet, relays under dash, and all fuses on the PDC under the hood. Sounds like water got in and hit the motor contacts causing it to pop a fuse somewhere.

Okey dokey. I thought it might be something like that, but I wanted to hear from someone before I start digging into stuff. Kind of odd that a part of the switch works and the other part doesn't; and the doors lock from ignition and nothing else.

Thanks. If nothing works, I'll be back!

Yeah, that's really strange. I would expect them to not work at all, or always work.

So just to make sure I have it right - door switches don't work, starting the car makes them lock properly (this sounds like it goes through the aftermarket unit?), remotes don't work. I don't see a pattern in this at all, unfortunately.

I'll be at the junkyard M&G tomorrow/Sunday, should I bring my DMM and test equipment? Might be able to figure something out.

Kastein thanks for the testing offer. I should be there but I plan to ride shotgun with Rich (Rock2pus). If not, my Dodge will get me there. The XJ is in no condition to be driven with the carpet still partially ripped up.

See ya there!

Back