• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What is this?

loki_racer

NAXJA Forum User
Doing all my research for onboard air, I have found that I need to relocate the battery to the driver side. I understand I have to move the air box and get the diesel battery tray.

But what is this:

If anyone has a photo of where they relocated this, that would be killer.

what year xj?

on my 89, that area has the ballast resistor and egr solinoid.

sorry im no help.

have you looked inside the plastic cover? looks like a cover for a pcm or fuse block.

That is your ECU. You unfortunately have a rather pressing need for it.

Put it wherever you want though.

Thanks. Just a side note, my local Jeep parts guy called me back and said the diesel battery tray is $82.50 and can be bought state side without any issues. My parents live overseas so I'm having them check on prices. Does $82.50 sound right? Seems a little steep for a plastic battery tray.

definitely not right, the price doesn't mention your first born or right arm.

Sounds about in ballpark... looked up an OEM discount price on the LCA adjuster clevis parts yesterday and they wanted $37 for it (a little piece of pressed sheetmetal that would fit in your hand) and that was 35% off list price. If you have a part number (I can get you one if you have a model year / spec list to check) you can probably find it for half to quarter that price from various places online.

Keeping the A/C compressor and mounting a York 210 on the outside of it requires the battery to be relocated (moving mine to driver side, removing the air box and replacing with a K&N Apollo that runs to the cowl and putting a small H1 type cowl cover on it). I'll do a full writeup of it and post. I'm hiking the AT for a week next week, so it will be two weeks before I get back to wrenching and doing this mod.

What about relocating the battery to the cargo area and running welding cable from the positive post back up front and then grounding the negative post good in the back.

It's not actually deadly till someone decides to light a cigarette or lock/unlock the doors, or anything else that can ignite it... at which point you will want the 800 number for your glass insurance company.

It doesn't seem that it's toxic at all except for the way it displaces oxygen in the air without changing the smell, similar to a nitrogen purge.

Batteries in use put out a deadly gas (hydrogen I believe). Unless you vent the battery extremely well, I wouldn't suggest running it inside the passenger area.

Just have to put it in a battery box and vent to outside.

I run a dual battery setup in my right rear quarter with a box covering it, and its vented. Works great for me, and I didnt have to move anything under the hood. Love my dual batts!

~ James

Ditch the factory airbox and run a hose from the TB to the cowl and put a cone filter inside the cowl. That'll eliminate the airbox and give you space for a battery.

Back