• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

So I now have this extra 4.0 ......

Grreatdog

NAXJA Forum User
My 97 4.0 had a head gasket go at 80mph and melted the no. 2 piston by the time I got off the expressway. It obviously overheated pretty badly. So I am almost done with a low buck motor swap using a donor 4.0 from 100k mile wrecked 97 GC. I just slapped on a new water pump, oil pump, rear main and oil pan gasket and called it good enough. I wouldn't have even bothered with the junkyard motor except I just dropped $2000 on five new tires and rims, all new track arms and a complete brake job. Plus the A/C still works and the body is mostly straight. Ok I admit I still like it having had it since new.

So we get to the question. On tear down of my dead motor I find the main and rod bearings look almost perfect and all but one cylinder and piston look great despite 280k miles. That is the benefit of regular oil changes and good oil I suppose. And it was still running like a scalded dog burning zero oil when the head gasket blew. So I assume the head is still good. Do I do a low buck rebuild of this motor, a full blown rebuild or just scavenge usable parts and recycle the metal? Remembering, of course, that my old XJ isn't worth much more than sentimental value, I ask what would you do?

1. Build a great stroker, sell it.

2. Build a great stroker, install it in your next XJ.

3. Build a great stroker, give it to me.

I like the third option best.

1. Build a great stroker, sell it.

2. Build a great stroker, install it in your next XJ.

3. Build a great stroker, give it to me.

I like the third option best.
I wanna know where the "I'm with stupid" (arrow pointing up) Smiliey is.
HA!
But seriously.. I would go for at least a mild stroker.. Since you need a new (set maybe, ha) of pistons, go .030 OR, .060 if you are feelin sausy. And get some decent/nice pistons.
4.2 crank. Have the head tested and maybe go for a valve job/ maybe mill the deck a little. That would be a way to go.

build a stroker...

since youve got a running motor in it, take your time sourcing parts and run the new one till something happens. if you are patient and hunt for deals, you can build it for a fairly good price.

agreed. since you have an "extra" engine laying around, I'd build it up, assuming you have the time and space. if you need to get it out of your garage quickly (because of lack of space or your gf/wife hates walking around engine parts to get to the freezer), junk it/sell it.

but if you have the time and patience, you should stroke it and take your time doing it. building an engine is the same as building anything up, if you have the time and patience you can do a great job on the cheap. if not, it's usually fast & expensive or fast & cheap quality

Back