• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

95 Cherokee Cutting Off

FordJeepMan

NAXJA Forum User
Hi,My 1995 jeep cherokee 4.0L will be running just fine and cut off.Sometimes it will start agin and sometimes not.The real pain is that when it cuts off and I finaly get it home(from being towed) it will start before I can figure out whats up.Never throws a check engine light. The first thing I thought was that the cps was bad so I replaced it with a known working sensor.This did not help so I thought well mabey the injectors or coil is losing their +12.Thought mabey a factory splice in the harness was loose so using a toggle switch I jumped around the splices using scotch clips(basically jumping out the asd circuit) and this did not help.One thing I did check while the jeep would not start was circuit K4 ,Z11 and Z12.They are my pcm grounds.They show very little resistance to ground( 1 ohm as I am sure someone will ask) which is good.When the jeep will not restart I have checked my 0 to 5 volt signal coming from the cam position sensor and can see it pulling High and Low correctly.I have also checked that I have 8 volts on my cps and have a good ground to it. All ground straps are tight and battery terminals.The coil has been replaced as well.The pcm has aslo been replaced with a known working spare. I also have fuel pressure checked by a guage while the jeep was unable to restart.Its not anything stupid like cap and rotor or wires. The last time it died it did throw mil code11(Camshaft signal or Ignition signal-no reference signal detected during engine cranking) I understand what the cam is about but when it says ignition signal is it refering to the crank sensor?Thanks for the help and any ideas would be nice.Makes me want to pull my hair out! If the problem is not in the asd circut which I confermed and I have voltage on my injectors and coil and good grounds for the injector and coil drivers to work correctly it has to be a problem with cps circuit somewhere.With out it and the cam (at start)the pcm has no idea where and what # cylinder is what.Thanks!

Well, a cursory reading of your post seems to me you don't know what the missing element is when it won't start--agree?

Fuel, air, spark, compression, all at the right time and at the right place = :party:

Your problem most likely isn't compression--it seldom comes and goes; same for air.

That leaves fuel and spark. You need to put it in a no start condition and determine what is missing, and then we can help you determine the fault.

Good luck, post up what you find.

just for giggles get a new ASD relay, I chased this exact problem for 2 years and that's what it was, sometimes it was good and sometimes it wouldn't start for weeks, ended up hotwiring the coil to the battery for a while until I figured it out

Back