• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

dealer only source for ABS hub assembly?

7bars4me

NAXJA Forum User
i've got a bad unit bearing. my XJ has ABS. no autoparts stores show an ABS replacement part available. i haven't called the dealer yet but i'm scared to find out how much a dealer would want for a part that no aftermarket is available.

i always thought on an xj that the abs sensor was not intigrated into the hub. i know you can buy an abs sensor seperate from the hub assembly.

X2. Just checked my parts catalog, the unit bearing itself is the same for both ABS and non-ABS. You can't order the tone ring separately but it is considered part of the stub shaft not part of the unit bearing.

X2. Just checked my parts catalog, the unit bearing itself is the same for both ABS and non-ABS. You can't order the tone ring separately but it is considered part of the stub shaft not part of the unit bearing.
That's odd. I fixed u-joints a few years ago for a friend's 92 XJ w/ ABS. Because the shafts and tone rings were so corroded, we just ordered replacement shafts. The tone rings came separate, in another Spicer box. Gotta be a way to order just the tone rings.

Dale wanted to know just how I was going to get the tone rings on without a press. Tone rings in a 250 degree oven, outer shafts in a freezer for 20 minutes, assemble while wearing leather gloves.

hmmmm... odd. I'm going off my parts catalog, so aftermarket may well be different, I just know there's no MOPAR part number for the tone rings themselves. You can order shafts with tone rings (perhaps not assembled) or shafts without but I can't see a way to order just rings.

EDIT: no tone rings alone on rockauto either, but you can get shafts with or without.

Last edited:
True.... wouldn't be a big surprise that Mopar would just say to order the whole assembly (which might not come assembled....) We ordered the shafts through an aftermarket supplier, not Dimestore/Chrysler.

Definitely sold as part of the shaft, not the unit bearing.

That's odd. I fixed u-joints a few years ago for a friend's 92 XJ w/ ABS. Because the shafts and tone rings were so corroded, we just ordered replacement shafts. The tone rings came separate, in another Spicer box. Gotta be a way to order just the tone rings.

So you say they came in a Spicer box eh? It would be great to find a part number for those. I haven't been able to find any way of buying tone rings separately, though I've really only looked for the rear ones off a Dana 35. I'd love to be able to source some to make it easier to do the Dana 44 ABS mod I have a write up for. Time to start searching Spicer part numbers...

I know the tone rings came separate from the shafts, and I'm pretty sure that we ordered OEM replacements, i.e. not alloys, etc.

Strange.

I would also very much like to find a place to order them separately... I need to find a set of rears off WJ shafts. Had I had a little more foresight, I would have simply taken the WJ d35 shafts I had to pull to get something for a friend last weekend at the all-you-can-carry a local junkyard did.

I also need to figure out if I can get the rings off a set of WJ front shafts and install them on a set of XJ front shafts, either that, or figure out if XJ tone rings will work with WJ sensors.

</derail>

Well, sunnuvagun.... wouldja look at that....

Google search for "+spicer +tone +ring +dana +30" and the first result is http://www.baseline4x4.com/proddetail.asp?prod=16527.42 for $21. Says that it's for 99-06 TJs, though.

Going through Dana's Expert, I do see that the tone rings are identified separately from the outer axle shaft (which has a common ABS and non-ABS callout.) Unfortunately, I haven't been able to pull up BOMs or P/N lists for these drawings.

Awesome!

I love how it says "replaces part number xxxxxxx". Apparently they can't figure it out either :roflmao:

AllJeep usually has the cheapest prices I can find on stuff - they're where I buy U-joints, got my 8.8 to 1310 flange there, and picking up Spicer balljoints for my WJ knuckle swap soon (thanks to MoparManiac, who reminded me that they sell them.) No idea why they have the wrong pic though.

Funny how the FSM includes inspection of the tone ring and even says replace if necessary but there are no separate part #'s called out.

the tone ring is definitely on the shaft.

i'm an idiot (not thinking) and was trying to use 2001 TJ unit bearings (= cast rotor) on my 98 XJ (= composite rotor) and it caused the rotor to contact the heat shield preventing the wheel from turning. i jumped to conclusion thinking the difference had to be the hub and never even thought about jeep changing brakes in 99.

let the jokes commence. if this was pirate they'd have torn me a new one by now.

You aren't the only one to ever do that... hell, I have done worse :dunce:

FYI, 2001 TJ unit bearings are exactly the same as 2001 XJ unit bearings (i.e. 99.5-up XJ unit bearings.) Ran into that info while fact checking stuff for my WJ knuckle swap.

It did get a pretty good ABS tech discussion going though, and I've been needing this info for a while.

Hence why you're here, and not there.

Back