• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

quick AC question

VAhasnoWAVES

NAXJA Forum User
my 97 sport has a hole in the evaporator and many more AC problems. repair costs are through the roof. but i recently found a wrecked 00 sport being parted out.

i was wondering if the AC systems were identical and i could simply swap parts to fix my system?

The only difference is that a 97 uses evaporator 4864 999 while a 00 uses evaporator 4864 999AC, the third revision of the same part. The 97 part is listed as superceded by the 00 part, so the factory thinks it will fit. Brand new it'll run you $270 from mopardiscountparts, I'd give it a try and see what happens. Make sure he at least claims the AC works...

i would think being as these things have known evep probs id hesitate to put a 10r old evap in,awful lot of work to have to do it all over again next year

What Ken said. Forget the used evap. Get a new one, change the heater core while you're in there. You only want to pull the dash only once in your lifetime. ;)

How long has it been wrecked? Other AC parts may be good with a thorough flushing. Also do not reuse the old dryer, get a new one as well.

over the phone i was told the system was still under pressure. obviously mine isnt anymore... i had the mind set to take the evap and the rest of the system that i could as i would have assumed it would be in better condition than mine. ive looked at replacing the entire system with new parts and it was not cheap.

but knowing that the evaporator is the problem, you all would suggest i replace it with a NEW one and go from there?

I would source a new evaporator, heater core, dryer and full o-ring kit. Remove the dash using good service information such as an FSM or Alldata- I can provide an Alldata copy'n paste PM. The dash only takes an hour or so to get out if you only remove what's necessary.

Flush the parts to be reused if you can, don't sweat it too much if you can't. The big thing with AC is to pull a good strong vacuum for at least a half hour before charging it and the system will remain efficient. Leave the compressor alone and add a few ounces of PAG oil before charging.

X2 on the evac before recharge. You should be able to get that done for around 120-140 at any valvoline instant oil change that does AC service - make sure they have the big expensive machine first not a few recharge bottles. The guys I worked with there loved doing AC services because it meant a guaranteed smoke break, they'd pull the vacuum and let it sit there for as long as the instructions said to while they stood there watching it and smoking from outside the garage bay. You may also find other places that have the machine, they'll work just as well just make sure they have the machine before paying.

Back