• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Air Dryers

4WDlifeform

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys. Got a question or two about air dryers...

Here is what I am looking at getting:
43242.gif

This is a mini air FILTER. but it has water run off, so im assuming it dries the air too? but, there is no pressure rating on this (yay harbor freight!), or others like it, so, does it go on the intake side of the compressor?

Also, what about the chemical ones, (they turn blue?) those worth getting? I don't want to have to keep taking apart my air system though to change the dryer.

What im doing: This is for my on-board air system. I have an electric compressor, pumping into a 5 gal tank. Im running as high as 135psi when necessary. Im most concerned with water accumulating in the tank causing rust. Draining the tank is a pain, and I think I realize that even with a dryer, its not going to be perfect but I'm thinking it'll help? I use it for the tires, and train horn mostly. Some small air tools on occasion. Let me know what you guys think. I'm open to new ideas too, as I'm going to be ripping most of this apart this week.

Thanks!

I used the small inline color-changing driers when painting. I used them at the tool end as a last-gasp filter to keep water out of the paint. For what you're doing, it doesn't matter where you put the drier since the tank will collect condensation as pressure and temperature changes no matter where you put it. You will have to drain it regardless.

Since this is for the Jeep the thread probably belongs in Modified Tech

I have one of these for painting... they pick up any particles down to about 5 microns as I recall. I remember that even in November or so, it was getting full of water fairly quickly, so they do a decent job of drying the air.

I am planning on installing an ARB solenoid valve in the drain of my 200Psi 2.5Gal onboard air tank, So I can just push a switch & drain out the tank after use.

For what you're doing, it doesn't matter where you put the drier since the tank will collect condensation as pressure and temperature changes no matter where you put it. You will have to drain it regardless.

Since this is for the Jeep the thread probably belongs in Modified Tech

So, if the tank is going to collect condensate no matter what, I should just put the dryer after the tank before the tools? I was hoping to keep the compressor dry too...

I apologize if wrong thread, i figured its generically a tool thing...

Thinking about it a little more, a desiccant drier on the pressurized line (after the check valve) would probably help to slow down the frequency at which the tank needed to be drained. I don't know how much it would help but it couldn't hurt.

I wouldn't bother with an inline drier at the tool fitting unless you needed to keep moisture out of whatever you're working with. I had to keep water out of the paint, but I wouldn't care about a little water in the tires, and probably wouldn't care about a nail gun either. Anything bigger will probably need oiled air supply which is a whole nother level of complexity.

My compressor had the drain under the tank, it was a pain to drain, and kinda risky, as black widows like to nest under there. Got some brass pipe nipples and a few elbows and plumbed the drain out to the front of the tank. Now its easy to do, and no more spiders.
If you just dont want to mess with manually draining the tank, there are automatic drains.

My compressor had the drain under the tank, it was a pain to drain, and kinda risky, as black widows like to nest under there. Got some brass pipe nipples and a few elbows and plumbed the drain out to the front of the tank. Now its easy to do, and no more spiders.
If you just dont want to mess with manually draining the tank, there are automatic drains.

Black widows Nesting in your Jeep :shocked:
How do you work on it?
I would spray down the area with a potent insecticide to kill & keep them away!

Black widows Nesting in your Jeep :shocked:
How do you work on it?
I would spray down the area with a potent insecticide to kill & keep them away!

No this was for the shop compressor, which is tucked away in a dusty corner. When I do encounter black widows they get sprayed with brake kleen, or spray paint, depending on what is handy. If they still refuse to leave, they get brake kleened again and lit on fire. I figure its better to spray paint them, and send them back to their buddys as an example. Or spray em with the flat black, then hit them with the bottom of the can = flat black widow x2

Back