• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Free Ninety Five XJ

Shortbus

NAXJA Forum User
I just picked up this 1985 Cherokee Laredo from a lady that lives 4 houses down from me. It has a thrown rod in the 2.8L V6 engine but the Auto transmission supposedly works. The body is perfect except peeling paint but it has no dents and all of the windows and interior are nice.

I have two options with it.

Drop a 4.0L and AW4 in it and maybe find some Dana 44s and wheel/drive the hell out of it.

Part it out and let the Junkyard Fairy haul the carcass off to the big Jeep graveyard.

Cherokee.jpg

Cherokee2.jpg

Last edited:
id drop in a 4.0 and an aw4 and run the hell out of it....cant beat free. parting it out isnt gonna get much out of it. not compared to the fun u can have in a cherokee. :spin1:

its more work then its worth to try and get the 4.0 into the first years xj's (84-86) different front crossmember/radiator support and the firewall doesnt have the clearence. if your gunna do an engine swap, people drop the 3.1 V6 into place as an "upgrade"

bellhousings ppl. 2.8 is different than the others....im pretty sure.and i think the tranny is a one piece unit.

If I swap anything I will get rid of the motor and tranny. I do have a pair of HP Dana 60s sitting in my garage that are supposed to go under my TJ but this XJ is making me think twice.

I have a hard time deciding to build this XJ when i have my TJ already torn apart ready to start building the suspension.

I don't have a title for the XJ yet because it has been sitting since 1998 and she lost the title. She can file for a lost title but then again I think this could be a fun project and just throw some 44s under my TJ and wheel it too.

ADD is kicking in... What should I do... AHHHHHHHHHHH!

??Put another 4 banger in it, get it all running good and use it for a DD??? -OR- then fix it, sell it (And split the profit with the nice lady) ???

just thoughts-----

I'm hearing that the 4.3L out of a S10 will fit in it and I know of a motor and transmission for $600.

I do need more info but I've always liked the way a nicely built XJ looks but for a hard core wheeling rig I prefer the visibility of a TJ.

I drove an XJ one time offroad with 6" lift on 33's and wheeling with that huge grill is like getting a BJ from a girl with buck teeth... that grill gets in the way of everything fun.

its more work then its worth to try and get the 4.0 into the first years xj's (84-86) different front crossmember/radiator support and the firewall doesnt have the clearence. if your gunna do an engine swap, people drop the 3.1 V6 into place as an "upgrade"
Umm.. no, the "replacement" of the GM 2.8L was the 3.4L.

Why a 3.1? why not the 3.4? Or LSX swap and be done with it
3.4L is the easiest "replacement you will get as you can use all of your current parts such as intake, carb (or tbi), manifolds etc.
LSx/LQ truck motor swap = Awesome!

bellhousings ppl. 2.8 is different than the others....im pretty sure.and i think the tranny is a one piece unit.
As already said the 3.4L is a factory "replacement" so it will bolt up.
I'm hearing that the 4.3L out of a S10 will fit in it and I know of a motor and transmission for $600.

I do need more info but I've always liked the way a nicely built XJ looks but for a hard core wheeling rig I prefer the visibility of a TJ.

I drove an XJ one time offroad with 6" lift on 33's and wheeling with that huge grill is like getting a BJ from a girl with buck teeth... that grill gets in the way of everything fun.
4.3L can be done.. talk to 4.3L XJ over at cherokeeforum , I beleive he did a write up

Put in the 3.4 liter engine and TH700R4 transmission and tell us all about it.
Yes this is easiest swap, most beneficial.. depends on what you are trying to accomplish.

The reason I would rather go with a complete drivetrain with the 4.3L is because I would prefer to be FI than have the Carb. I already have everything in my 2 bay chop shop to do the work and I've swapped engines many times already.

I found a complete S10 Blazer drivetrain here in town on craigslist for $600.

What options for the 3.4L do I have and what issues with the motor mounts will I run into if I do go with that. I'm also more interested in swapping in a better transmission and T-case than the 3spd Auto and NP207.

http://www.s10-4x4.org

Used to be a member/mod over there back when I had my S10 w/2.8

Looks like there is an engine swap forum. They should be able to hook you up.

If you want to change the trans/t-case, why do you want to stick with the same block? Honestly that 4.3 is gonna make you alot happier

Back