• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Should I fix it or look for a different car :(

hankthecowdog

NAXJA Forum User
just got a call from mechanic. what was suppose to just be putting a new seal on a leaking transfer case turned out to be much worse. Turns out 2 pieces of metal has gotten bent/broken off inside the transfer case and immediately cut up the new seal and started leaking again.

They are saying the transfer case needs to be rebuilt or replaced. They don't rebuild them at the shop I took it to. They are talking close to 2k to replace the transfer case. FML :(

98 jeep cherokee
3" lift

what could cause this to happen?
think its worth fixing? I only paid 3k for the jeep so 2k wouldnt be the end of the world. But it is still a ton of money for an older vehicle.

Thanks

Get it towed the F out of there just as fast as you can!

Yes, $2k isn't all that bad if they are talking a NEW transfer case, and labor.

You should be able to grab a good transfer case for way less than $200 at a salvage yard and install it yourself.

You should be able to grab a good transfer case for way less than $200 at a salvage yard and install it yourself.
X2. Take your rig out of there right now before is too late...

x3...if i were anywhere close I'd help ya throw one in for pizza and beer. get yourself a 231 from a jeeper, and continue on, man.

no way that should cost that much.

X4! GET IT OUT!

A few notes-

-if you swap in another t-case be careful about what years etc. some differences- search is your friend- been done a lot.

-If you can, might open it up and check it out, parts are easy available and most are fairly reasonable. Not really a whole lot inside and fairly straight forward.

(-Do pull the fill plug BEFORE the drain plug)
(-Use Dex 3 atf ONLY )

Good Luck,
Orange

Xwhatever!

Hell, I'd drive from Mass to your place and install one of the ones I have in my storage unit for half that price! That'd cover gas and still net me about two or three day's pay.

It's really not that difficult - maybe a couple dozen bolts, you can pick up used cases for $100 or so at most yards in my area. Definitely not more than a few hours work. If you were in my state I'd help in exchange for food, similar to SanDiegoOverland.

OMG....we need to get you "Hooked on XJ;s" A transfer cace is easy to replace. Pick up a Haynes if you are worried and follow the directions. Then look on Craigslist for locals parting out Jeeps and buy a new used one for $100 or so.

GET YOUR CAR BACK and DO NOT let them lay another finger on it. They will charge you $2k for a new one and install a reman anyways.

If that doesn't work, I will beat their price and do it for $1500....lol

Xwhatever!

Hell, I'd drive from Mass to your place and install one of the ones I have in my storage unit for half that price! That'd cover gas and still net me about two or three day's pay.

It's really not that difficult - maybe a couple dozen bolts, you can pick up used cases for $100 or so at most yards in my area. Definitely not more than a few hours work. If you were in my state I'd help in exchange for food, similar to SanDiegoOverland.

how much would you charge to ship one to NC?

I'd say your mechanic is an idiot and/or a thief.

First HE screwed up your T-case and then he has the stones to try to get 2K out of you?? Call the Jeep police.

Hit up craigslist...you can find an NP231 for NO MORE than $300.

are you in SC or NC? and where? I don't have one, but there's a decent JY here we could get one out of, I'm always up for working on Jeeps and would help ya.

winston salem NC, although I am from SC. There is a pull apart in my town with a 97 cherokee that I could probably find a TC.

I'd say your mechanic is an idiot and/or a thief.

First HE screwed up your T-case and then he has the stones to try to get 2K out of you?? Call the Jeep police.

Hit up craigslist...you can find an NP231 for NO MORE than $300.

I agree with you about the thief part. It is a AAA repair shop not just AAA recomended an actual AAA autocare center. thought it wouldnt be this bad.

I just looked up XJ under car parts on winson salem craigslist and there are at least two strong potential sources for what you need. Usually private parties are way cheaper than junkyards.

post this in the southeast chapter forum and see if anyone is local to you that could help in person

the jeep community is tight and there are alot of ppl around to give a free hand....shouldnt cost more then 500 for all parts and labor might just be the cost of beer and fuel to get there.....AAA are a bunch of slimy scam artists and they think they got you by the short and curlys. back out now. hell you could do it urself and buy all the tools involved for 1/4 of that price....

Congradulations to Hankthecowdog -you done it!!

We almost never -ALL AGREE on anything!

:cheers:

:laugh3::laugh3::laugh3:

Back