• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Lights go out when Highbeams turned on

2000bluexj

NAXJA Forum User
Noticed the other night on the way home. Went to use my highbeams and I lost my headlights. Back to low beams and they work fine. I had the headlights out when I swapped header panels. Any way I could have plugged them in wrong or something? Its a 2000 Xj

Well, did you check to see if BOTH high beam filaments are burnt out--it happens.

Dang jaywalking trees!

Seriously, you have a three prong connector, high, low, ground. As the low beams work then you have grounds, so you need to check the filaments and also check for power on high beam.

- Make sure you have power to the high beam terminii in the sockets when you have full beams selected.

YES - Replace both bulbs. As mentioned, it can happen that you lose both at once. And, since you're reporting recent work in the area and recent blunt-force trauma, it becomes even more likely (full beam filaments tend to be thinner than those for dip beam, which makes them more fragile.)

NO - Wiring fault in between socket and multi-function switch, or defent in MFS. Inspect and replace PRN.

"Worked When Pulled," in this case, isn't necessarily an indicator of what's going on. Test at least fairly thoroughly.

:party:

Back