• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Alignment shoes?

SS468RAT

NAXJA Forum User
Hi, everyone,

Resumed work on my '96 lift project. Started last fall, couldn't get driver side LCA bolt out, took a break (until now!) sawzalled it off the other day and I'm ready to continue. My first question is: Where can I get new Alignment shoes? I'm not too happy with the condition the stock ones are in after they endured what I had to do to get the LCA's out. I've looked in most of the catalogs and most don't even mention them for sale. Past experience tells me this will be a dealer order item, but I'm asking on here to see if there is another source, or maybe an aftermarket alternative?
I also don't see stock CA bolts listed in the catalogs/websites, which I was debating on getting...although I'll probably just buy all new grade 8 bolts etc.
Any help is appreciated. I've had this jeep for over 10 years, pretty much stock until now, any problems I ever had with it this site solved them for me. There was a point last year where the Cherokee was either going to be sold w/ a broken leaf spring, or it was time to put a lift on it....guess what I ended up doing?... 6.5" RC lift, w/ drop brackets is going on, hopefully with not too many obstacles.

Thanks in advance.

Stock LCA bolts are M14x2.0 120mm, Property Class 10.9. Same thing for the leaf bolts (all of them.)

UCA bolts I seem to recall being M10s of some thread pitch, stick with M10s of an appropriate length and make sure they are Property Class 10.9 and you will be fine.

The alignment shoes - if they are the C-shaped bits that combine with what Joe mentioned, you want OEM part number 5200 0532, which is available from mopardiscountparts.com for a whopping $37 :shocked: I'll see if I can find a cheaper option. If I can't, it's likely junkyard time.

EDIT: funjeepsparts has it for about 6 dollars! Just plug in the part number on their site and it'll come up. For some reason they note that it's cast material when I could swear it was pressed sheetmetal, but hey, it's Omix-Ada and says it's direct fit.

Last edited:
If you are so inclined, you can make your own. Just measure the thickness of the ones you have, and use the pattern below to make some...

shims.jpg

x2. Had a buddy knock out a dozen of them out of scrap stainless sheet. Not sure on the gauge, but about 1/16th" thick. Worked great. Picture and process here-
http://www.go.jeep-xj.info/HowtoAlignment.htm

Edit- I'm not sure if he's talking about the clevis or the shims for it. If it involves sawzall damage, I suspect he means the clevis. In that case, yeah, those things are salty at the dealer. Funjeepparts had the cheapest price I could find, but I've never dealt with them- I salvaged mine.

Last edited:
Thanks for the responses guys! I guess I meant the clevis type adjusters...where the LCA bolt passes through, the actual part that has the adjusting studs on the back, not the shims. When I took it apart i had no shims, I would assume the shims are for fine tuning the alignment (LCA pull-back)

I will be installing the RC drop brackets and instructions don't mention shims, just tighten nut halfway on the studs (if memory serves correctly).

Thanks for the details on the bolts, any recomendations as to where to get all the bolts/nuts/ etc.? once again, the catalogs I have dont list the bolts.. At work, gotta go!!,

Thanks again!

You can pick up the LCA bolts as OEM part number 3420 2118 (bolt) and 1150 2814 (nut). You can also order from metricspecialties.com, here are the specs you want:
Bolt: M14x2.0mm, 120mm long, ISO property class 10.9, flanged head
Nut: M14x2.0mm, ISO property class 10.9, flanged, staked

Make sure you apply threadlocker if you buy non-OEM ones, the OEM ones come with dry threadlocker preapplied. Also make sure you only tighten the hardware after the vehicle is resting on the wheels to avoid torquing the bushings - leave them loose by about a turn till it's on the ground, or at least resting on the axle tube on some jackstands.

Not sure what the UCA bolts are... they have that wacky tag pressed onto the head to keep them from spinning that also makes it hard to put a wrench on them. I'll pull up OEM part numbers for them when I get a chance if you want.

Wow Kastein, you answered all the bolt questions for me! that sure saves me the time at the harware store trying to wing it. Thanks! and to all who contributed. I'll be searching the above mentioned sites and see if I can get an order for the hardware out. I'll also have to review what came with the lift, to make sure I don't already have what I need. I check on here randomly (much like working on the cherokee!) so sorry for not thanking you guys for the info sooner. Hopefully I won't be posting any more obstacles for awhile, Looking forward to posting the completed pics. Thanks again, and may all your projects go smoothly!

Back