• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Noobish Mod related type question

NickDanger_XJ

NAXJA Forum User
K, two things.

1) Is it at all hard to trim fenders for someone very novice to body work. This is my nice DD type rig that is for some recreational use. So, I don't just want it hacked for clearance, I want it to look good. Can I do it myself, or should I take it to an offroad shop and spend the bucks? Also, it's an '89, so older style body, I can just cut straight under the headlights to get rid of that piece, right?? I can do the same in the back too, right??

2) Is there anyone in our chapter who's fabricatings bumpers just for shits and gigs, or maybe a little side work. I have some novice welding skills, but no space, tools or time to do it myself. So, is there anyone out around here making them for a decent price?

Thanks y'all.

If all you want to do is make a cut straight back from the headlights, then yes you can. For something like that I wouldn't pay a shop to do. If you worried about doing it yourself, I'm sure there's someone on here that's in your area that will help out, or I can help you if your ever near Portland. The back is a little more difficult, I know there's a few write up on here if you search rear trimming.

There's a guy making front and rear bumpers for around $150 ea in Vancouver. I bought one for the front of mine. I'm using it as a starter, and add to it to meet my needs. I know that's a little bit of a drive for you.

Do it yourself, it's not hard. Plan out what you want to do, draw your cut lines, and have at it.

I didn't want to get rid of the stock flares on mine all together since it's a daily driver, so I opted to relocat my stock flares after trimming. I followed a writeup by "53guy", and was able to trim all 4 corners and relocate the flares in a day. On the front you can cut the fender flush with the bottom of the headlight trim piece, but you can't do the same for the back with the tail light. You can "cut and fold" (<- search term) the lower quarter panel on the rear though.

Not hard at all.
After all... I did mine.
laughingsmiley.gif

Fendertrim005.jpg

Fendertrim002.jpg

Fendertrim004.jpg

Fendertrim001.jpg

Fendertrim003.jpg

Here's how I did mine...
For the front I just cut along the lip.
For the back I did like this but did not go back with a welder.
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=968906

Good luck. ;)

I used a jig-saw with a smooth cut metal blade. you can cut really slow and the finish looks great. No rough edges. Also search Ebay for "trimlok" get the 1/8" X 9/16. its a buck a foot and adds a nice finishing touch to the edges.

I used a dremel the first time on my first jeep. it took me about 3 hours a fender.

Dont use a dremel.. The second time, i used a 4.5" cutoff wheel on an angle grinder, IIRC it took about 30 seconds for each fender? lol I also had to fold the fenders with a hammer because i didnt want to loose the weld spots

There's a guy making front and rear bumpers for around $150 ea in Vancouver. I bought one for the front of mine. I'm using it as a starter, and add to it to meet my needs. I know that's a little bit of a drive for you.

Is he only asking $150 for that rear bumper w/ tire carrier??

Thats a pretty solid deal if so.

K, two things.

1) Is it at all hard to trim fenders for someone very novice to body work. This is my nice DD type rig that is for some recreational use. So, I don't just want it hacked for clearance, I want it to look good. Can I do it myself, or should I take it to an offroad shop and spend the bucks? Also, it's an '89, so older style body, I can just cut straight under the headlights to get rid of that piece, right?? I can do the same in the back too, right??

Thanks y'all.

There's a really good write-up on the FAQ page about trimming fenders. I used it when I trimmed my old XJ and they came out nicely. Check it out.

Is he only asking $150 for that rear bumper w/ tire carrier??

Thats a pretty solid deal if so.

I don't know about the rear tire carrier. I bought a front bumper from him, similar to the one pictured but without the hoop.

Yeah, the front doesn't really intimidate me, it's the back I think that I'm worried about screwing up. I want them to turn out looking nice still.

i wanted mine to look nice, and i think it does.

4 cuts are all i made for the rear.
i used tin snips.
then i used a sledge hammer - yes a sledge hammer - to pound the resulting 5 'tabs' up.
had to take the wheel off to get the proper swing angle.

i took more time painting than cutting and folding my rears.
you don't need to cut as many times as a lot of guys do for the rear.
some guys cut every inch or two...

...but i see no reason - just cut where the curvature requires cuts to make strait tabs to fold.

i cut in these 4 places:
2 at the top corners
2 where the bend is in the body

rear_cut_lines.jpg

Hey Nick!
I'm in your area and have cut alot out of all 4 of my wheel openings, If you want to see or need a hand send me a P.M.

I'd post pictures but it always turns into a for or against TJ flare thing. :laugh:

James

uh oh... here we go again :banghead:

Damn it James !

icon10.gif

I have to be good at somthing! :)

Wonder if i'll be blamed for the decline in the quality of people at NAXJA again?
:viking:

added it to the dump pile....

Back