• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1997 Honda passport Dana 44?

94HOCHEROKEE

NAXJA Forum User
Is this a good choice to swap out my rear axle with?? I have never heard anyone swapping this axle in, and I was wondering if It would be worth the trouble.
I've searched, but does anyone know a sure shot way to find out the gear ratio and weather its an open diff or not?? It has a aluminum finned cover if that helps....:rof:
I believe it's a Dana 44..... with 4.30????
Any help is appreciated because I am hoping this is a easy way to re-gear my axles for cheap, since I can get the axle for free.

Thank you in advanceNAXJA

I need to find out what gears it has or else I have no use for it....
I only got the 4.30 gear set from a reference I found. I hope it comes with something like a 4.56 or a 4.10. But that is probly just wishful thinking.

I know 4.10s were avail in some S-10s/Isuzu Hombre's so probably In Rodeo/Passport. Check the axle tag on diff.. pop the cover and count the R&P..

The 1999 V6 LS Rodeo I had, Came with limited slip differential and 4.10 gears. And 4 wheel disk brakes. Nearly all "Generation Two" 4x4 V6 3.2L rodeo's come this way. Just look for the V6 logo and your good. Isuzu is/was owned be GMC this a good axle. But I'm sure the rodeo axle is wider the your XJ's axles are.

Last edited:
could just get the rear end up and rotate the driveshaft. Count how many DS rotations it takes to get the the tires to make one full rotation. That should give you your gear ratio..

Isuzu isn't owned by GM, but they do have a pretty involved partnership. Isuzu supplies GM with decent diesels for the HD trucks, GM supplies Isuzu with a full line of sales flops.

The '98+ body style is much closer to the XJ, at 61.5". However, the '94-'97 will be in the 59" range.

Having owned both a 99 Rodeo and a 96 XJ at the same time. I can say there body styles are nothing alike. The rodeo is so much BIGGER. I mean fully grown adults can easy fit in the back seats. With more room in the rear cargo area for all there thing.

wikipedia have the
Jeep at 168 long and 69 Wide
Rodeo is 178 long and 71 wide
Boy dose that 12" extra in lenght and 2" wider makes a makes a big difference when your seting inside of one.

http://www.iidesign.info/OR_99K2.htm Rodeo
http://www.iidesign.info/OR_96XJ.htm JeepXJ

Anyway I'm going over to Pick-N-Pull today to get myself some XJ rear springs that I sore are part of a lift kit. And I'll get the true lenght of both axles.

I put one from the earlier style rodeo in my xj. The swap was straight forward, and I'm glad that I did it. But, the cheap entry cost of this axle can be quickly undone by the fact that the bearings that press onto the axle shaft and the parking break shoes aren't cheap. I spent more on the parking break shoes than than the entire axle assembly. Just something to think about if you're going for it.

^^^^ that. Brake parts are muy expensivo. I have a 95 Rodeo axle under my rig, 4.30, and it is 58" wms to wms -- they got wider as the years went by, and I think the 99-00 years are 63" IIRC. They are also stock in 4.56 and 4.10 flavors, although there are fewer of them. Great axle if you get it in good brake conditions so you don't blow your wad on brake hardware.:sunshine:

Back