• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

i have an evil plan

Swamprat

NAXJA Forum User
i recently acquired a 97 ZJ with the 5.2L and the jeep has seen better days pretty much the engine is the only good part of the jeep. but i also know where i can find an MJ that needs a motor. im pretty sure that both jeeps have the same tranny. if you havent caught on already in thinking about swapping in my 5.2L into this comanche. i've searched and i might have confused my self alittle, but i think all i would need is some motor mounts for the swap and time to set everything up.

-Ian

Very interested to see how this pans out. You may be best off using the 5.2 with the trans attached. From what I've gathered mating a trans to a motor can be a little tricky.
Do you think it will fit? I've never seen a 5.2, but it seem like that long 4.0 motor barely fits as it is.

Last edited:
im not sure, i've heard of the 5.9 being swapped in. but i havent actually seen pictures, by basis is that the ZJ uses both the 4.0L and the 5.2L both with the AW4 if im not mistaken. i compared the 5.2L to my mom's 4.0L out of a 2000 XJ and it seems alittle shorter and obviously wider but not much. but i might be in over my head here.

Gm LS/ LQ truck motor swap FTMFW!

Yeah, it'll be shorter and wider. Remember you're going to have to take care of other things too - transmission is controlled by the ECU on ZJs (aside from possibly the 93s with the AW-4, I am no ZJ expert) so you're going to have to swap the wiring harness... and the dash cluster probably... oh, and the body control module as well if you want some stuff to work. It's not going to be an easy drop-in swap. Exhaust, driveshafts, and transmission mounting are probably going to require a lot of thought too.

Take a lot of massaging to make that worthwhile... 180 HP at the crank in stock form... double the boost, though, and we might be on to something.

Different trannys, only the 4L ZJ's came with the AW4, V8's got Chrysler units.

Only the 93 ZJ's with 4.0s.

Back