• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

clutch ?

87_trailrig

NAXJA Forum User
my clutch just went out .. now the big question when i replaced my support i went over to scottys and it was from a 88 yj so most likely thats the clutch i should be getting ??????????

Unless I'm missing something you should be able to just get a clutch for your jeep.

When you say it went out what do you meen? Won't engage? Won't disengage? Slips?

Did the support come with a YJ engine and trans? Other wise I would say you still have a XJ clutch/pressure plate/throwout bearing.

And may I suggest you replace the pilot bearing.

The pilot bearing/bushing fits in the center of the end of the crankshaft. It supports the end of the transmission input shaft, aka the pilot.

Pilot bearings or bushings don't leak. Their sole purpose is to let the crankshaft spin when the clutch is disengaged and let the transmission shaft come to a stop. Lubrication is a problem with them due to proximity to the clutch (oil or grease contamination on the clutch facing.)

With an 87 or 88 vintage transmission, you've got an internal slave. My suspicion is that the slave cylinder/throwout bearing is shot. There's a slim possibility that the master is shot.

may i suggest taking it to a shop? You really shouldn't be working on something if you dont know anything about how it works. I'm not trying to be a jerk here just giving some advice that will save you a few headaches. At the very least read up on how a clutch works, or better yet try to search for a writeup of a clutch job on an XJ.

Back