• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Electrical - Delayed Accessories shut off

Djmack

NAXJA Forum User
Hey NAXJA,

I got a new stereo and in the process of installing it, i rewired a bunch of stuff, including my CB, Spot lights, and Relayed my HVAC Switch.

Prior to doing this, i had my CB radio running into my fuse block in the ign, acc. slot. and when i turned my key off, my CB drained enough juice back into the system to keep my radio running for a couple of seconds... enough to drop the key to acc, to keep my radio on.... when i rewired everything, i ran a direct fused line to my battery for my cb, to reduce much unwanted interference.

My question today is, has any one made a delayed accessories shut off system? or have the system controlled by the opening of either front door, after the key has been removed?

-Travis aka Djmack

bump... because it got moved off the first page in less than a minute.. i guess i posted on an over active day.

If you contacted an electronic supplier you should have no trouble getting a time delay off relay and rigging something up.

At Digikey I found this part number:
CDC-38-20026-ND
With the data Sheet here:
http://relays.tycoelectronics.com/datasheets/CD_DS.pdf

This relay is kind of big and clunky but is built for industrial applications and will hold up to 10Amps and should fit under the dash fairly readily.

The only drawback is that it is limited to a max of 3 minutes, but one might see that as a plus. I wire these up all the time and they are quite reliable. Anyway, its a thought.

Last edited:
There is stuff out there. I drive an emergency vehicle that has a bunch of radios in it. There is a small box under the Hood that's set to keep the radios on about 10 min after the key is shut off.

looks pretty easy, but time consuming, ill save it for another day when i build a large relay box to hide my many used relays.

you gotta love their use, but hate their size when you start adding them up.

Back