• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2000 4.0 sport equipment questions

jr-544

NAXJA Forum User
I am the owner of a 2000 xj 4.0 automatic and was fortunate enough to steal it from a friend for 500 bucks. Vehicle is in excellent shape and plan to make it my 4X toy. Was courious of any drivtrain issues these xjs may have. want to know what axles it has and any tips on locking them on a budget. want to lift a little and maybe do 33,s max. dont want to have open diffs but not going extreme with air lockers or nothing like that but would like to keep it farely road worthy as well. thanks in advance and thanks again for those of you who advised me in my recent thread on my stalling issue. preformed the ohm test on the crank sensor and it appears to have failed. had to order it from jeep. will be installing ot tomorroe afternoon and if all goes well hope to be driving it home.

The biggest one for a 2000 is the low pinion front axle. The next is the possible head cracking issue if the head is a 0331. If it does have an 0331 and over 150K miles, you are probably OK.

Do a search on "0331 head." Look at the head casting next to the valve cover near cylinder 4. The number will be part of the casting.

Back