• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Lost Bolt !

Kevin

NAXJA Forum User
HELP!

I just finished replacing the rear main seal in the XJ. While putting the oil plan back in place, I dropped one of the small bolts and it bounced off my hand into the opening where the starter mounts.

Attemps to retrieve with a telescoping magnet were unsucessfull.

Any ideas? Previous experience? Or am I the only idiot capable of doing this?

Thanks,

95 XJ with AX-15 manual tranny.

Try cranking the motor with a breaker bar on the harmonic balancer. Remove the inspection plate at the bottom of the bellhousing. Do NOT start the engine or crank it with the starter!

x2, Kastein is right on top of this one.

Pull the spark plugs and that will make it easier to turn over.

Been reading some other posts. Is the inspection plate the sheet metal that sits vertcally between the tranny and oil pan? This was the shiney silver part (after I got all the grease and fiklth off of it while cleaning the oil pan). I have the same bolt interference problem and saw some recommendations from 5-90 (i think it was 5-90) that seem reasonable but then later posts say that won't work and I'll have to drop the tranny.

Yep. That's the one. It's made of aluminum, so it's probably the only non rusty thing on your Jeep aside from the fuel pressure line :D

You'll have to remove some of the bolts, others you can simply loosen 3-5 turns and then slide the plate out.

If you remove it, then put a sheetmetal drip pan on wood blocks under the bellhousing, you will hear the bolt land when you get it to fall out.

It's not so simple to remove the inspection plate on an AX15......it attaches not only with the three sheetmetal screws, but also the four bellhousing bolts. I'd recommend pulling the bottom screw and prying the plate back far enough to feel around inside the bell for the bolt, then bending it back into place. Here's a couple pics to show you the whole plate and how it's sandwiched between the block and the bell.

Jeff

bushinginstalled.jpg

flywheelinstalled.jpg

Got the bolt out !!!!!

(and promptly stuffed a rag in the starter hole in the inspection plate!).

I had tried some various magnets, etc with no luck. Then I removed the bolts at the bottom of the inspection plate and pried it open as much as possible. I was then able to get a finger in there and luckily, the bolt was close enough to pull out.

Thanks to all for their help.

Back