• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

When to upgrade steering gear??

gcam

NAXJA Forum User
Hi,

What is the common thinking for when a steering gear upgrade is needed? I will be running 31" MT's on 3" of lift doing mild to moderate wooded trails. Any daily driving will be largely highway, and little city driving. 4.0 engine, and no winch as yet.

It took 11 years to wear out my original steering gear, and 2.5 years to wear out a remanufactured unit after I went to 30's.

The reman unit may have been crap to start.

Thanks.

Geoff

Replace it when it breaks and when it breaks upgrade it so it won't break again just make sure you have a support on the other side of the box so it does not rip the unibody

I'm on stock steering plus a Big Daddy tie rod and on 35's/5.5" lift, never had a issue. No bump steer at all.

I do carry trail spares, both TRE's, drag link, pitman end link and a stock tie rod to get me home on if i need it.

I run rock but I'm easy on the skinny, more of a finesse driver but will hammer it if necessary. I bent several stock tie rods on rocks with smaller tires and less ground clearance but other than that the stock steering serves for dual purpose well. Another advantage is that if I'm on a road trip, parts are easy to come by if needed.

Well, if 35's can't wear it out, my 31's won't. I can get a PSC reman for the price of a Dakota junkyard box around here. Thanks.

Geoff

Back