• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Seats

smiley

NAXJA Forum User
So right now my jeep is my baby (maybe in another 100,000 I will make it into a wheeler but for now i am slowly creeping that way but keeping it scratch free) I am about to get the seats redone for about 1G. Does anyone have any pics of cool xj seats? The guy charges by the seat not the design so he told me to go wild with my imagination. My jeep is patriot blue pearl and I am looking to put in saphire and black pseudo leather with a 50,000 rub factor (stock fabric rub factor 10,000).

Thanks as always

So right now my jeep is my baby (maybe in another 100,000 I will make it into a wheeler but for now i am slowly creeping that way but keeping it scratch free) I am about to get the seats redone for about 1G. Does anyone have any pics of cool xj seats? The guy charges by the seat not the design so he told me to go wild with my imagination. My jeep is patriot blue pearl and I am looking to put in saphire and black pseudo leather with a 50,000 rub factor (stock fabric rub factor 10,000).

Thanks as always
1G for seats being redone? I hope you mean he is putting Beard suspension seats in or something, and not recovering/reupholstering stock XJ seats.

yea thats for all 3 seats redone with the fabric included. I have priced 4 in my area and thats really the cheapest around. The next cheapest was like 2g. That includes redoing all the foam too. The seats will be show car good when they are done. Just to fix a small tear in the vinyl (3 inches big) would cost 200 at the other places.

I am really just looking for some upholstery ideas. Has anyone had their seats redone but done it show car like... if that makes sense. I mean not just upholstering the seats where they are stock but new

did seats on my rx8, new foam, leather. ran me $395 about 3 years ago

no pics, but did a really good job

Why do you need the seats reupholstered? For under or close to a G, depending on the specific seat you get, you could get some nice suspension seats and put those in(read: brand new, and about 1 million times more comfortable than stock XJ seats). Why do you need the rear to be reupholstered?

well my seats are cloth right now and i am switching to a leather type material which is the exact same color as the car(patriot blue pearl). it will basically look like a show car

You're still spending too much money... you can pick up a full set of WJ seats or aftermarkets and they'll be more comfortable and cost less.

I don't really care if my Jeep looks like a show car, I use one as a daily driver and the other as a backup daily driver / mild wheeler... if I made them look like show cars I would be afraid to get them dirty or carry random junk around in them. Might just be me though, I aim for utility and appearance instead of just one or the other.

is that "brand new, and about 1 million times more comfortable than stock XJ seats" a thread... if so i couldnt find it

Nope... I have stock seats and 97+ seats I bought off a friend, who now has aftermarket seats. Another friend is getting WJ seats right now.

have you actually had any experience with aftermarket seats kastein? I have heard a lot of bad stuff about all of them

Mastercraft seats are way more comfortable. I am willing to bet that they are made better than stock too. I don't understand why you want show car quality on a Vehicle that gets driven a lot. Its pointless IMO but then again I use my jeep to haul stuff, carry fishing gear, camping gear, I even sleep in it from time to time. I don't want to worry about tearing up 1k worth of upholstery.

Hello all, I too am looking for some sort of quality replacement front seats for my 91 XJ (grey leather). I have read threads till I am blue in the face and still cannot decide on which ones to go with. Some fab is no problem but too big wont work. Is there a definative thread or concensious on whats the best route for lots less than 1G (ouch!)?

I can think of worse things to spend 1k on.

Some people spend 1k on a winch that they only use once a year, or 1k on a stereo system, etc.

spending good money on something you sit in/use every day might seem high to some, but you have to admit, its a useful purpose.

I'd spend a 1k on a bed, for example. Hell, I use it everynight and twice on sundays...

spending good money on something you sit in/use every day might seem high to some, but you have to admit, its a useful purpose.
Ya, and that is exactly why we are trying to tell him it is stupid to spend 1K on recovering XJ seats. When all is said and done, you still have, you guessed it, the same damn seats with a new cover, and XJ seats aren't exactly lazy boys.

If you are going to spend that much money, spend it on a good seat that is designed for comfort and being sat in, i.e. a suspension seat.

I take it you've never sat in a nice seat? You definitely wouldn't be saying to spend the 1K on recovering the stock seats when you could get something MUUUCH better.

there are 4 reasons i have decided to just redo the seats
1) I will have the jeep for the rest of my life, maybe later it will only be a wheeler but i will have it forever
2) i have heard of several people who say aftermarket even the high end ones are not as good as stock ( i have seen several pics of the seat frames actually breaking)
3) i have heard NUMEROUS people complain about the "bolt in" problem, in that the seats wont bolt in right and require major modification to get it to work I even heard one guy buy a 400$ seat and have to spend another 800$ to get it put in b/c the fab work was so much
4) Idk what the seats will feel like if i cant sit in them before i buy them, i have heard people go either way on this

The guys doing this are show car quality upholsters and do a fantastic job... so when it gets done it will look phenomenal... i just need some pattern to tell them to do

Flex do you actually have mastercraft seats? were they hard to install? How long have you had them?

1) Comfort is comfort
2) Mastercraft is the only one I've heard about breaking
3) Maybe valid, depending on your fabrication abilities and the other mods you've done
4) Beard or PRP seats will be better than stock.

show quality... which means it looks nice. You seem to be fixating on that. But then you reject other ideas because they might not be comfortable enough :dunno:

I have no further input really. I really like the 2door/MJ bucket seats I have in my 91 MJ, they are much more comfortable than the seats in my 96 XJ. Both are OEM seats.

there are 4 reasons i have decided to just redo the seats
1) I will have the jeep for the rest of my life, maybe later it will only be a wheeler but i will have it forever
2) i have heard of several people who say aftermarket even the high end ones are not as good as stock ( i have seen several pics of the seat frames actually breaking)
3) i have heard NUMEROUS people complain about the "bolt in" problem, in that the seats wont bolt in right and require major modification to get it to work I even heard one guy buy a 400$ seat and have to spend another 800$ to get it put in b/c the fab work was so much
4) Idk what the seats will feel like if i cant sit in them before i buy them, i have heard people go either way on this

The guys doing this are show car quality upholsters and do a fantastic job... so when it gets done it will look phenomenal... i just need some pattern to tell them to do

Flex do you actually have mastercraft seats? were they hard to install? How long have you had them?

Do a search on Grand Cherokee seats.

They'll look stock, be way more comfortable and you can get them cheap, get them recovered out of the vehicle and probably save some cash on that.

If the show car look is what you're going for, props to you, its different than what most here do, but I think its cool.

I'd just go for something different than the stock seats recovered if I'm doing show.

Back