• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Co2 tank for ARB

I am running my front (Detroit in the rear) ARB on CO2. I bought a 2.5# tank at the local welding supply. It is actually an old oxygen tank where they changed the valve to a CO2 valve. Oxygen liquifies at a much higher pressure, so I am sure the tank is very stong. The small size let me fit it into a fire extinguisher bracked and mount in on top of the spare tire bracket.

The ARB uses a very small volume of air for an actuation. When I called PowerTank, they told me they have verified over 200 ARB actuations on a pound of CO2. I did not go cheap on the regulator. I bought a very small regulator from PowerTank that flows enough gas to run power tools, just for emergencies. The first trip was to the 25th in Moab. I hit the locker probably 10 times a day for a week. After the week there was enough gas to fill eight 33x10.5 tires from 12 PSI to 30 PSI with some to spare.

I'm running my f/r ARBs off of CO2. I bought a 10lb online for about $80, and then bought power tank's regulator, switches, and safety blow off valve. I haven't had any issues with it, and I can use the tank to air up my tires and run air tools if needed.

Back