• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How long can this engine sit.

unclethumbtack

NAXJA Forum User
I got a good deal on an 2001 4.0, AW4, np231, with 19,000 miles on it. It was already pulled from the jeep. I don't really have a use for this engine right now. My 96 has 158k and my 2000 has 133k. I pulled the plugs and sprayed fogging oil in the cylinders and cranked the engine by hand. Is there anything else you would do and How long could this engine sit before I need to get it in something?

some salvage yards with warehouses keep motors on shelf for 5+ years. i don't know what they do to them?

That means it has another 39k to go until the head cracks. Hey, maybe aging it will stress relive it better. At least until you bring it back into service, it should hold up for decades.

How do you know it only has 19k on it? Considering it was already pulled I wouldn't be too sure about it.

I know the guy I got it from and he rebuilt cherokees for the state of Oklahoma for a long time. This cherokee was T-boned and they used the jaws of life to cut all the corner post off the cherokee to get the people out. When he got the cherokee he pulled the engine and put it in a wyllis in a partnership with his brother. He still had the original instrument cluster it read 19400. His brother decided to sell the wyllis and so my buddy removed the engine tranny and transfer case. They had the wyllis running but they never drove it very much. I was just happy to get it. I couldn't get just the tranny rebuilt for what I bought the whole thing for.

I know the guy I got it from and he rebuilt cherokees for the state of Oklahoma for a long time. This cherokee was T-boned and they used the jaws of life to cut all the corner post off the cherokee to get the people out. When he got the cherokee he pulled the engine and put it in a wyllis in a partnership with his brother. He still had the original instrument cluster it read 19400. His brother decided to sell the wyllis and so my buddy removed the engine tranny and transfer case. They had the wyllis running but they never drove it very much. I was just happy to get it. I couldn't get just the tranny rebuilt for what I bought the whole thing for.

Oh cool! You know the history on it so thats good. Oh, and what is a wyllis?

Sorry meant willys it has been a long day. I can only mow the yard for so long before my brain is fried. I should know how to spell it, I got a 3B :)

fill it with oil... no moisture problems ever :)

that's no joke. That's what you need to do...just fill it to the brim w/ oil and let it set for as long as you want...it will smoke a bit on startup obviously but it will run like it was stored yesterday. I have done it 4 times and they say 60% of the time it works every time.:viking:

If you fill it with oil, obviously pull the plugs and crank it over a bit to push it back out before you try and start it :shocked:

as long as nothing corrodes and you turn it over a bit without starting it to get oil back into everything, I think it should hold up pretty much indefinitely. You might want to throw new seals on it if it goes past a few years, but you should do that before putting the engine in anyways just because it's way easier with it out, saves headache in the future.

Back