• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tranny cooler ideas?

HenryKrinkle

NAXJA Forum User
I know this has been covered a bunch, but my searches left me still wondering.

I have an '88 on stock gears and 31's. The tranny fluid looks good, but I have no idea when it was changed. I have 6 quarts of Dex/Merc for it. I also disconnected the a/c. So now I have the condenser empty and sitting in place. I'd like to use it for a tranny cooler. My climate is hot summers and cold winters. I know the tranny is getting pretty hot, but do not have a temp gauge for it. My line of thinking was the radiator would keep the condenser warm enough to not over-cool the tranny.

Right now I have no garage or place to work other than the street or a parking lot. I could take the front end apart and put in an explorer cooler, but it would be MUCH easier for to just get some hose and connect up the condenser.

Is there anything wrong with plumbing the cooler lines into the condenser?

I'm thinking the cond. would need to be flushed with fluid pretty well first?

Then I would just drain the tranny and fill back up- through the dipstick hole or where?

What is the procedure for getting an accurate tranny fluid level measure?

Make sure there isn't any compressor oil in the condenser still.

Yes, you fill through the dipstick tube - use one of those really long narrow funnels and go very slowly. It'll take a couple minutes to pour a full 5 quart jug of fluid into it, if you do it too fast it will burp back up and go everywhere.

Things I would worry about / consider first - how large are the fluid tubes in the condenser? They may not be large enough for a fluid as viscous as transmission fluid to flow well. How much pressure can the condenser deal with? I don't think this will be an issue at all but it might be.

Getting an accurate reading on fluid level - foot on the brakes, shift through all gears a few times, waiting 30 seconds or so in each gear. Transmission should be warmed up to normal operating temperature. Clean dipstick of any fluid, also make sure you've given any fluid you poured down the tube several minutes to finish flowing down, otherwise the tube walls will be coated in fluid and you'll get a screwy reading. Park the vehicle on a level surface, make sure it's in the gear it recommends (it'll be stamped into the dipstick near the bottom, usually park or neutral at idle.) Check fluid level. On an automatic transmission, the difference from empty to full on the stick is 1 pint of fluid as I recall. On engines it's usually 1 quart of oil.

Make sure there isn't any compressor oil in the condenser still.

Yes, you fill through the dipstick tube - use one of those really long narrow funnels and go very slowly. It'll take a couple minutes to pour a full 5 quart jug of fluid into it, if you do it too fast it will burp back up and go everywhere.

Things I would worry about / consider first - how large are the fluid tubes in the condenser? They may not be large enough for a fluid as viscous as transmission fluid to flow well. How much pressure can the condenser deal with? I don't think this will be an issue at all but it might be.

Getting an accurate reading on fluid level - foot on the brakes, shift through all gears a few times, waiting 30 seconds or so in each gear. Transmission should be warmed up to normal operating temperature. Clean dipstick of any fluid, also make sure you've given any fluid you poured down the tube several minutes to finish flowing down, otherwise the tube walls will be coated in fluid and you'll get a screwy reading. Park the vehicle on a level surface, make sure it's in the gear it recommends (it'll be stamped into the dipstick near the bottom, usually park or neutral at idle.) Check fluid level. On an automatic transmission, the difference from empty to full on the stick is 1 pint of fluid as I recall. On engines it's usually 1 quart of oil.

The in and out tubes on my '88 are about 5/8". I remember it took me some time to cut through them with a hacksaw. I think the A/C system runs pressurized. Don't how much. My concerns were: can the tranny pump fluid up into it effectively. Will it get too cool? Anything else you see wrong with this idea?

Thanks

your in WI. its doesnt get very hot in the summer. come down here to phoenix and talk to me about trans cooling then...

I would wounder about the condeners age and the leaks it may have soon. I would say go with a new tranny cooler. A cheep one is all that you will need/

your in WI. its doesnt get very hot in the summer. come down here to phoenix and talk to me about trans cooling then...

I suppose it's hotter down there, but we get into the 90's consistently.

I hadn't thought about leaks. I don't think it's rusted out, I guess pressurized air could help find any.

Make darned sure that whatever lines / plumbing you are using are rated for ATF - I think some rubbers will react poorly and you don't want dissolving hoses gumming up your trans or creating leaks.

Anything else you see wrong with this idea?
Ya, you're trying to use an AC condenser as a tranny cooler.

I could take the front end apart and put in an explorer cooler, but it would be MUCH easier for to just get some hose and connect up the condenser.
Take the front end apart, as in take the grill off, that is held in with 8 screws?

Get an explorer tranny cooler, put that in, and you'll be fine. Its not expensive (Cost me $15 at local junkyard), and its actually meant for fluid and cooling a transmission.

To get an accurate fluid level, the vehicle needs to be running and warmed up, then pull the dipstick and check it like you would engine oil.

I think this is a good idea. The tranny cannot be overcooled unless you see temps less than like 20* below. The condenser should have no problem with the pressure of the tranny fluid.

Back