• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Overdrive Downshift AW4 Questions

vabeachtennis

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 1996 XJ 4.0
Here are my symptoms:
When cruising down the highway @50-60mph, I take my foot off of the gas pedal and am ready to brake, the transmission seems to downshift like I was in a standard shift and went from 5th to 4th gear. If I ease my foot off of the gas pedal, most times it will stay in OD. Is this normal?

When I start out in first gear and it shifts to second gear, it's like I have a "shift kit" in it, it doesn't slip, it's just a hard shift to second gear, unless I have my foot very light on the gas pedal and then it's still a "quick shift" but less harsh.

I have used the search function and came up with these possibilities:
1) Brake switch, does anyone have a write up as to it's location and a way to clean it?
2) TPS?
3) TV adjustment?

Any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated.

Well, as always make sure the fluid is correct in quantity, condition, and type.

Quick and easy adjust the throttle pressure cable: http://naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1015963.

Check the reference and output voltages at the TPS, replace if necessary.

Check the brake switch to see if it needs adjustment/replacement.

Well, as always make sure the fluid is correct in quantity, condition, and type.

Quick and easy adjust the throttle pressure cable: http://naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1015963.

Check the reference and output voltages at the TPS, replace if necessary.

Check the brake switch to see if it needs adjustment/replacement.

Thank you.
The fluid level is correct and doesn't smell burned.
I will check the throttle cable pressure out.
I will check the TPS voltage.
Regarding the brake switch, and how to check and adjust it, do you know of any write ups that shows it's location and the proceedures to adjust it?

When you take your foot off the gas the shifting you are feeling is the torque converter unlocking. When this happens there is a rpm change but it is not shifting gears. The TC is only locked on the when on level ground cruising. If you get onit or let off it will unlock. I have LED's wired into the solenoid wires and have watched the shift sequence while driving.
Seems the TPS is usually the root cause of shift issues although the VSS's can cause issues as well.

When you take your foot off the gas the shifting you are feeling is the torque converter unlocking. When this happens there is a rpm change but it is not shifting gears. The TC is only locked on the when on level ground cruising. If you get onit or let off it will unlock. I have LED's wired into the solenoid wires and have watched the shift sequence while driving.
Seems the TPS is usually the root cause of shift issues although the VSS's can cause issues as well.
You need to fix your link(missing a "W")!

Back