• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Weight in the back

FlexdXJ

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Memorial Lifetime Member
A guy I know asked me the question and I didn't have an answer . He was wondering how much he could safely put it the back of his Jeep? He had 700 lbs. of pavers in the back and still had plenty of room before the bumpstops. He was wondering what it can safely handle with out damaging the axle. Its a 2wd 4 banger with a stick. Thankfully he has plans to do a 4.0 and a 4wd swap.

The axles are the same in 2 wd or 4 wd. His gearing should be 4.11 which helps. When I bring rocks home for my wife I try to keep the weight as far forward as possible. Fold down the seat, maybe lay down a piece of plywood and load it up.
In my '96 4 cyl., 5 speed, 2 wd. w/8.25 axle I'm sure several other parts would fail before the axle.
After he does the 4x4 and I6 swap he'll have LESS added load capacity.

ive had atleast 1000 lbs in mine and made it over 200 miles but im not saying its a good idea to try it (more than once) my problem was slowing down but it handled it quite well. ive even hauled a loaded car trailer with it a few times

Yeah i didn't think it would be much of a problem. He is just one of those guys that likes to know the proper amount he can carry. :dunno: I could care less as long as its not riding on bumpstops.

The "Text book" answer is based on the Gross Axle Weight Rating (GAWR). You should be able to find it on the sticker on the driver door (below the latch).

Of course, safety is more than axle damage. Your suspension and tires factor in as well as stopping power and acceleration.

I carried 32 cement blocks in the back of mine on stock springs once (and a thousand pounds of servers and cisco routers a few weeks later), it bottomed out on every single bump, crack and pothole but doesn't seem to have done any damage aside from demolishing my already-dying bumpstops and further sagging my already sagged stock leafs.

Sounds like the perfect time to buy a trailer!

Back