• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

suspension upgrades

VAhasnoWAVES

NAXJA Forum User
'97 XJ, 4.0, AX-15, 231, 8.25... existing lift: RE 4.5 super flex kit

first, i want to finally install a SYE. im having a hard time understanding if i can simply order a shaft online or if that is something im going to need to have custom made.

shocks... i want steins. my existing rubicon shocks arent trash, but they leave some to be desired sometimes. ive heard nothing but good things but im having problems decifering what i want/need. i dont plan to go any bigger, at the most a spacer in the front to level the vehicle and shackle relocation brackets in the rear. sometimes ill go blazing down the two track, and the next day im crawling over a mild rock pile. are 5100s going to give me the travel i need at this height or should i be looking for something else?

i want to go long arm. and ive taken a liking to the claton upgrade. does anyone have any notes to make about this kit or have any other recomendations for a LA upgrade?

im sure there is more... but ill start here.

I have a similar lift on my 96 (re4.5 coils, 3.5 leafs/1.5 teraflex shackles I'm also runninng a 3/4 spacer in the front) I decided that when funds allow me to, I'm going bilstein 5150's in the front and 5125's or 5100's in the rear. They are plenty good enough and are built well as compared to edelbrocks ect.

which would be ideal for my lift giving me the most compression and droop.
======================================================
IMO the best thing to do is remove shocks and slowly flex her out. Watching for binding, rub etc and then use a tape to see your max and min flex. Then check out shocks to see witch once will fit your needs the best. After installing them you many need to rework your stops. Don't let your shocks or any stearing part be you limiting device,
Also drop straps are a must if you want your frontend to last.

no doubt... makes sense at least. should know what im applying it to in order to pick the right product. limiting straps and proper bumping is deffinantly in the works.

id like to install relocation brackets in order fix my vertical shackle angles, and will install ACOS to fix the rake that will likely be made bigger. should i be looking at playing with my steering and such? drop pitman arm? trac bar drop? ideally i plan to go one ton seeing as JCR is in Mi as well.

should i be looking at playing with my steering and such? drop pitman arm? trac bar drop? ideally i plan to go one ton seeing as JCR is in Mi as well.
===================================================================
Chat with JCR about any additional mods they would recommend.
Also I would hold off until you do this mod before getting shocks. Else you would need to recheck your stops/straps after this or any major mod to steering. In order to get max flex and safety

You will only need a drop pitman arm if your track-bar+ draglink are not running at the same angle. As far as D-shaft, I would say measure, tom woods or anyone else can do one right for you. A front d-shaft should work as well tho.

I say get your suspension the way you like it with your shackle relocators and your long arms then drop your front suspension see what's going to bind ( track bar, steering )then after you do some grinding and new parts and your comfortable with your drop buy your shocks (since you re shocks aren't bad (( if they are limiting drop put some bar elimintaors in the front for a band aide fix which should give you a little more drop intell you have to buy new shocks )) but get your suspension set up the way you mostly like it so your not buying shocks like 8 shocks. then after you buy the shocks the lenght you need add bumpstops and straps to keep them for a long time

thats essentially the conclusion i have come to. makes it easier than buying everything all at once too.

and i dont beleive the shocks are limiting flex. 31s rub way up in the fender and the springs have almost come off the perches before. for a DD i dont know what else i could ask for there.

'97 XJ, 4.0, AX-15, 231, 8.25... existing lift: RE 4.5 super flex kit

first, i want to finally install a SYE. im having a hard time understanding if i can simply order a shaft online or if that is something im going to need to have custom made.

Use another front shaft,I do and it works fine, I have about 6" of lift

what type of vehicle jeep did you get it off of? did you need to have it rebalanced? and what universals and/or fittings did you need to make it bolt in?

Off a xj I don't remember which is the longest but i think it was the auto with 242 t case ... My suggestion is when you get your sye install it take your front shaft measure it then try to put it in the rear and if it's to long or short you got the measurements so you can go to the jy and find one off another xj

some extended bumpstops? and steering
it rubs, it doesnt rip parts off. and my steering wheel works last time i checked. =P

for a front shaft in the rear... would it be as simple as measuring from the T-case to the differential, yoke to yoke, and trying to find another cherokee with something the same length?

how do i determine what universals ill need, and will any of the joints need to be replaced?

All I have to say is the Bilstiens are great... Took mine for a ride the other day after getting it all wrapped up from my install and they rode like a cadillac.

x2 I just installed Bilstein 5100s all around on my XJ with 7" lift and there was a noticeable night and day difference over the rusty Rusty's shocks I had on before.

it rubs, it doesnt rip parts off. and my steering wheel works last time i checked. =P

for a front shaft in the rear... would it be as simple as measuring from the T-case to the differential, yoke to yoke, and trying to find another cherokee with something the same length?

how do i determine what universals ill need, and will any of the joints need to be replaced?

Yes very simple as measuring and bolting it up no changing, I had like 6 different front xj driveshaft sitting around all givin to me or rolled all different years and I just grab one put it up there made sure it was the right lenghth and bolted it down works great running almost 2years on it

should there be a certain amount of extension and compression on the shaft that i should be looking for in order to keep it from tearing up my drive train?

i mean something along the lines of "XX inches of compression still left on the shaft while there should be YY amount of extension once bolted in to run it safely."

Back