• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Another stupid no spark question

ebbenr

NAXJA Forum User
Here we go..... 94 cherokee 2.5 manual xmsn. Got it from somebody cheap who said that it just died for their wife at a stoplight and wouldn't start afterwards. These are the symptoms:
Codes: 12, 55
Cranks, no spark at coil to distributor wire
Have 12v going to coil on one side w/ key on (2 prong plug)
Swapped ASD relay w/starter relay - still cranks
replaced so far:
Crank position sensor
Cap
Wires
Rotor

The coil doesn't look like anything in the Haynes manual. I also have a 93 4.0 cherokee and will swap it out.

My 93 has a wire going to the IGN spot in the fusebox but there is no such wire on the 94. I don't even see one hanging that may have pulled out.

How can I test the distributor to see if it is not working?

Is there something else taht fires the coil?

Help, please!

This isn't that different from the 4.0L. The most common failure will be the CPS, crank shaft postion sensor.

isn't there a CAMshaft position sensor in the distributor? don't know how to test it though.

I'm going to try to look for 5v in and out of the distrib. If it modulates on the out, it should be working, I guess. Anyone know how to test it?

Ebbenr, do you have an ignition control module (ICM) that is intergal with the coil? If so, I'd suspect it as being bad.

Empty, I don't think so, the coil is stand alone. Advance has a pic of it if you put in 94 cherokee 2.5L. Anyway......

Went back out and rang some wires today.
Voltage to coil.
Voltage to dist.
Pulsing 5v from dist when cranking.
No voltage on wire from PCM to coil when cranking.
No voltage from crank sensor gray wire to PCM when cranking. Also didn't hear injectors firing. (Tried from hot to gray and from blue to gray)
Continuity in all wires from connectors to PCM.
Got a code 11 from OBD! Suspect it never latched because I hear it takes 3 times before it latches and I tried it after reconnecting the battery and one crank.
Pulled crank sensor again and when I did dust shield fell out. Nasty on both sides. Brought CPS back to Advance for another as bad from stock.
Tomorrow I will pull xmsn dust shield and see if there is so much crud that that the CPS is not getting a signal and rpl the CPS.
Wish me luck!

BTW, my 93 has been a daily for 4 yrs now. Only 2wd but the weekend I got we went to the local cabins for camping. Not much of a 4wd guy, more a dragstrip guy but you can't beat these things for versatility! I looked at an Element, but only seats 4 and boy, it just doesn't look right.

Still no spark!

So far -
Replaced:
Coil
CPS (3 times)
Cap, rotor, plugs, wires
Rang out wires - Continuity in all wires from connectors to PCM.
Voltage to coil.
Voltage to dist.
Pulsing 5v from dist when cranking.
No voltage on gray wire from PCM to coil when cranking.
No voltage from crank sensor gray wire to PCM when cranking.
Continuity in all wires from connectors to PCM.
Cleaned off flywheel.
No codes. I had a code11 but it was from cranking with cps disconnected. Disconnected battery and after 5 tries it did not return.

Questions:
1. Are the PCM's from a 93 with a 4.0 and a/t and a 94 2.5 m/t interchangeable?

2. I have 9v at the cps connector from orange to ble/blk. What should I see at the gray wire and when?

3. Will something in the fuel delivery cause a no spark?

4. How about the other sensors?

I'm going nuts here!

Back at it. I'm going to lose my mind.

Now have pulsing 5v on gray wire from CPS to PCM.
Have pulsing 5v from dist to PCM.
5v plusling to coil.

Still no spark!

If I ground the other wire to the coil, it sputters and runs rough.

I swapped pcm's with my 93 4.0 The 93 ran rough (suspect it is because it is a 4cyl pcm in a 6) but the 94 still wouldn't fire.

Going to pull the starter and check if the gaps in the flywheel have metal.
Also going to check if the injectors are firing at startup.

Anybody been here before?

If I ground the other wire to the coil, it sputters and runs rough.
Ebbenr, does this mean it'll start and run (roughtly) with one side of the coil grounded?

Back