• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Stand Off Kit.

Alot of jeepers use that on the cherokees. Not that particular kit though cuz most just make their own spacers.

I don't like the look of it. Makes the hood look like it's broken or was in a front end impact. I also hear it's a safety issue in a front end collision.

yessir seen it first hand! hood cut through windshield and the a pillar. almost cut the driver off at the shoulders but it would have happened either way. 60 into a concrete abutment. (sway bar unhooked) dumba$$

yessir seen it first hand! hood cut through windshield and the a pillar. almost cut the driver off at the shoulders but it would have happened either way. 60 into a concrete abutment. (sway bar unhooked) dumba$$

Wow! That is a good point. And I think it is one of the most common mods to get rid of excess heat. Not too smart if you really think of it as a safety issue. And trees don't give much if you are off-roading either. :scared:

wasnt trying to deter you from modding ur cherokee that way i was just sharing a personal experience. the kid it happened to was not what id call intelligent. i actually have this mod on my wagoneer to get rid of some heat on the trail and yet it is VERY effective. my .02 :greensmok

I live near tampa, called one junkyard no luck. I may still do the stand offs. Man am I fickle. I like the idea of an easy cheap mod. Like I said I believe this would get rid of heat. Worked like a charm on my vdub.

Ben

theres a ton of ways to do hood vents, the key is to make it look OK, allmost all the home depot (or worse, lowes) grills have looked like utter shit, imho. of course there are exceptions... but do it right! no half assing here!

I used the front vents from a 3rd Gen firebird. I think they look good. They do not have drip pans, but I put them on the front of the hood anyway, so it does not really matter. I thinkI will do them on my MJ too, but this time I will cut that portion of the Trans AM hood out and weld it in so they sit completely flush. I am a little more particular about how that truck looks though.

theres areas where its ok to hook hacked, and theres areas that need to be clean, the hood NEEDS to be clean IMHO, which is why i dont run vents. i cant get it to look good, and yet look differant enough from the millions of xj's running lebaron vents. someday i'll do a 1-peice.

I live near tampa, called one junkyard no luck. I may still do the stand offs. Man am I fickle. I like the idea of an easy cheap mod. Like I said I believe this would get rid of heat. Worked like a charm on my vdub.

Spacers work great on VW bugs. For low speed work, they work great on XJs too.
I'm not so sure that raising the hood is a lot more dangerous. If you get hit right, a stock hood can pop up and come through the windshield.
Usually the hood bends in the center due to being restrained by the hood's hinges.
Fed safety laws require that hood be restrained in case of a head-on collision. Many cars’ hoods have hooks at the rear of the hood; the Cherokee uses the hinges.
The hinges will continue work with the spacers. If you are still worried, add a couple of safety cables between the top of the firewall and the rear of the hood or fabricate some 'hooks'.

My XJ has a cowl air intake. Raising the hood, with spacers caused the air intake temperature to significantly rise so I took it off.
My experience was that the spacers helped a lot at low speeds but added little at freeway speeds. I would like to design a spacer that can be quickly deployed for off-road trips and just as quickly be dropped back into the stock position.
Think spacers with levers or QR pins or?
I need to start drawing.

Back