• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What type of gas to run?

Trail Blazer

NAXJA Forum User
I have a Lincoln Pro-Mig 135 (Nascar Edition) welder and I've been using flux wire for the last 5 years. I use the .023 wire so don't have to deal with so much snot on the items I'm welding. Welding 1/4" with this sucks.

I have .035 wire for doing the 1/4", but leaves soooo many boogers. The welder has the hook-ups to run gas, but I'm not sure what to use. I don't weld anything over 1/4" (so far). I know that I have to switch the polarity on the wires of the welder, and put a different cover on the end of the gun. But what type of gas should i run? Any help would be nice. TIA

Pic of my lovely snot...

IMAG0213.jpg

as far as i know, thats what most people run for what we do. thats what i run! couldnt be happier to be rid of fluxcore =\ i hate boogies

Yes need different wire without flux, right now I run 100% Co2 right now on my machine. It gets deeper penetration then the argon blend. But I dont think its that big of a difference. I am going to exchange this tank when its empty for a 75/25 blend argon/co2. Co2 has a lot more splatter then the blend and the end result is not as clean looking as the blend. Do you have the regulator already? On the gas pressure setting to lil you will get splatter and too much will just waste gas. Should say in the manuel what to set it at. I like running the .035 wire best. Also watch your settings, welding with flux core is hotter, with gas you are not going to be able to weld thick metal in one pass.

And get a decent wire brand not harbor freight wire, makes a difference!

most do 75/25 for a shielding gas. you can use both flux core along with a shielding gas- its called dual shield.

just downloaded/printed the manual for my welder. says to adjust gas to 15-20, and upto 35 for windy conditions. thank you all for your help !!!!

ive heard 7-25. i was up at around 35~psi on my first tank, and blew thru a large tank in 3 weeks.

if your in a windy condition, put up a sheet of plywood to block the wind.... i live in a windy part of town, and can feel when a breeze comes along, just by the weld.

ive heard 7-25. i was up at around 35~psi on my first tank, and blew thru a large tank in 3 weeks.

if your in a windy condition, put up a sheet of plywood to block the wind.... i live in a windy part of town, and can feel when a breeze comes along, just by the weld.

Its not measured in PSI,it measured in CFH!

I run 12 CFH and use 80/20 and solid core wire
Works great, haven't had any problems.

Also with that much spatter, make sure that your polarity is correct, Flux core wire requires opposite polarity of solid core with shielding gas.

My friend has one of these welders and always complained about all the spatter, one day while he was welding i noticed his polarity was bacwards, switched it and it welded alot cleaner and seemed to get better penetration.

I used to work at welding shop, and anything over 30 on our regulators would freeze them up if you were doing a long bead (staircase floorpans etc) This was 100% Co2 though.

At home I use 75/25 on our 140xp, I think around 15, and it's been fine. Slim to no boogies.

I've only ever used pure argon once, doing some thick sheet metal work (16 gauge and thicker) and it was a dreeeammmm to use for filling and building. It really leaves a tall bead. For penetration, it sucks.

75/25 seems to be the bets for mild steel. Pure Co2 may yield a little better penetration, but you have more snot to clean up after.

But like godblazers said, since it's the nascar edition you should probably stick to some 110 leaded.

everyone in the shop i work in that welds carbon steel uses the " stargold " mix which is 75/25 and they run the .35 wire for everything. thinkin maybe unibody welding i might use .3 though

Back