• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2000 cherokee sport 4.0 stalls

jr-544

NAXJA Forum User
I recently picked up a 2000 cherokee sport for 500 bucks. is in great shape for 150000 miles. previous owner was fed up with it because it dies whenever it feels like it. Iam a master mercedes technician and thought before diving in it may be a good idea to ask some jeep experts for direction. problem does not seem to be hot/cold dependent. once in a while at idle the vehicle will begin to run rough and eventually stall completely but the main issue is it will intermitantly just die as if the key was switched off. the radio and lights stay on as should. this morning on hard accell after it down shifted the engine died while going roughly 50 mph, as i was coasting towards the should the belt chirped as the engine sarted itself. drove the rest the way to work problem free. about an hour later backed out of parking space and as soon as stopped the engine died and was able to restart one try. died like this the next two times. vehicle sat for roughly four hours and then drove for two minutes and the engine shut off on light load. took one to two mins to start. would crank fine but did not act like it was sparking at all. once starts it typically runs fine. drove another few mins and going about thirty up slight hill vehicle died and took nearly ten mins to restart. once started drove back to work with no issue (about two miles). check engine light has been on since i purchased it and one of the o2 sensors is bad setting a hard fault. any help before diving is would be very helpful. one note the fuel pressure is always there and the pump and filter is brand new from jeep. thanks for reading this mini book

Welcome to the XJ world and welcome to NAXJA.

I am not an expert but from my experience, a common stall / no start problem is the CPS (Crank Position Sencor). Both mine and my wife's XJ's (2001's) needed it replaced at around 80,000 miles. If it's not that then it "might" be the Torque Converter.

Good Luck.....

Test the CPS it is a common failure.

TESTING PROCEDURE 1991 – 2001 4.0L H.O. engines

1. Near the rear of intake manifold, disconnect sensor pigtail harness connector from main wiring harness.
2. Place an ohmmeter across terminals B and C (See Image). Ohmmeter should be set to 1K-to-1OK scale for this test.
3. The meter reading should be open (infinite resistance). Replace sensor if a low resistance is indicated.

standard.jpg

sounds like the most likely cause at this point. mercedes have crank sensor issues as well and it does act similar. thanks i will check it out and keep posting on findings. thanks again for the ohm specs, ive been looking for them for a couple of days.

It is of course good to check the crank sensor. As a preventative measure, I would go around to all the sensor connections and work the plugs in and out (maybe even with contact cleaner), to refresh the low voltage connections. PCM connections too.

preformed ohm test when the vehice was starting normally and the result was ofl on pins b ans c. got a resistance value through those same pins once i got the vehicke to act up. ordered crank sensor from jeep. thanks for the help...

Back