• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dead Battery

Resetting the computer is not necessary in this situation.

Do you hear any clicking or any noise at all when you turn the key to start? Connections clean and shiny on the battery posts and cables?

You still have an electrical issue. If connections check out, I would recommend taking the battery out and bring it to a parts store where they can LOAD TEST the battery.

Charging the battery doesn't guarantee its performance.

Let me clarify after charging the battery , the motor turns over great, just won't start. Its a 96 4.0 automatic 120,00+ running when i parked it?

Compression, fuel, spark, all at the right time and in the right places. What is missing? Once you tell us what is the missing element, then we can help you find the problem.

After having my battery unhooked for a week or so while replacing my cylinder head I had issues getting it to start. Will it start of you hold the pedal down a bit while cranking?

Mine would run like that but as soon as you would let off the throttle it would die. I used a screwdriver to hold the throttle barely open while checking for a vac leak after not finding one and the jeep running for a few minuets i remove the screwdriver and the truck idled just fine and has been fine ever since.

The battery went dead in my 96 xj, I charged it now the jeep will not start? Is there a way to reset the computer?

Did you drive the XJ home just fine then got up the next day to find the battery dead? Most of us have some idea as to the reason as to why the battery go dead exceppt when old age is involved.

The guys need a bit more information to go on.

I guess I was hoping for a simple miracle answer, If I had a clue which one of the parts was missing I would tell you.

Well, pull a spark plug.

Is the spark plug wet--that would indicate fuel.

Reattach the spark plug wire to the spark plug, ground the plug base to the head.

Have a helper crank the engine.

Spark? If spark, what condition--blue and snappy or yellow and weak?

No alarm or dead man switch, The battery went dead after sitting four or five weeks without being started. It not a daily driver, and when last driven it was all dry on road driving. Did have some problems as above a with having to hold the peddle down to start. But it just cranks and cranks?

I don't mean this to be mean (redundant?), but I can tell you to replace the fuel pump, the CPS/CKP crank sensor, the ASD relay, the coil, the PCM, the synch sensor in the distributor, the distributor, the cap and rotor, the plugs, the injectors. Now you are broke and owe the local loan shark and they are coming to bust your knees!

YOU have to tell us what is missing. That is how it works.

Good luck.

Back