• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Current Big Bear conditions

HeepSpeed

NAXJA Forum User
I'm meeting some friends up in Forrest Falls (partway up the 38). I have two options:
1. Take the Jeep
2. Ride the motorcycle

It would be neat to run a trail for lunch with my friends in their stock Nissan pathfinder and such, but what are snow levels right now? The Adopt-A-Trail run wouldn't be good with these guys...it would have to be clear :gee:

So if there's a bunch of snow and chances of them getting stuck, I might just ride my motorcycle there and do a run or two up the 38 for fun :piratefla

Thoughts or reports of snow conditions...?

I live in Forest Falls at the very top. My house is the 2nd highest house on the mtn at 6200 ft. and we have very little snow. There are just patches in shady areas. Any local trails are much lower elevation and would have no snow. A fun trail for stock Nissans may be the trail from the look out station (just below Mtn. Home Village) across to Angeles Oaks. If you are really worried about snow then you could go from Mtn. Home village down to Bear Creek and back. What day are you coming up?

Last edited:
I live in Forest Falls at the very top. My house is the 2nd highest house on the mtn at 6200 ft. and we have very little snow. There are just patches in shady areas. Any local trails are much lower elevation and would have no snow. A fun trail for stock Nissans may be the trail from the look out station (just below Mtn. Home Village) across to Angeles Oaks. If you are really worried about snow then you could go from Mtn. Home village down to Bear Creek and back. What day are you coming up?

How would you get to Mtn. Home Village to Angeles Oaks. I am interested in a short trail ride and this one sounded interesting, How do you get to it? Thanks.

How would you get to Mtn. Home Village to Angeles Oaks. I am interested in a short trail ride and this one sounded interesting, How do you get to it? Thanks.

When coming up 38 you will see a road to your left just before you get to Mtn. Home Village. It's the first road you can turn left on once you enter the canyon. When you turn left the road is only paved for about 100 ft then turns to dirt. There are some areas to park at the begining for people who want to hike or mtn. bike and there are a few forest service signs. The road will wind up the side of the canyon to the top and will then split. If you go left it will take you up to the look out poinnt (dead end) and if you vere to the right it will take you towards Angeles oaks. The road will eventually split again. If you go left you will end up near the dam/bear creek and if you go right you will dump out right behind Angeles Oaks. Any SUV or truck could navigate these roads. I drive those roads regularly when I go fishing. google map "Angelus Oaks" and you will see the dirt road that goes from the lower part of 38 all the way to the back side of Angeles Oaks. It's a pretty dirve, but in no way challenging. I drove my Honda Accord through there a few years ago when 38 was closed from fires. That was sketchy and I would NOT recomend that. The best thing to do is just pick up the $5 map at the Ranger Station at the bottom of 38. It will show all the roads and the rangers can really help you pick the right trail.

Last edited:
Sweet, I should probably have an area map anyways. I'm at work and don't have my Charles Wells guidebook with me, but do you know if he covers Forest Falls at all in the "Southern California Guide to backroads and 4x4 trails"? I know Big Bear is in there...

I'm driving up Saturday night. He has a cabin in FF. We might do a lunch run on Sunday. My buddy with a stock Tacoma TRD wants to test his cb and do a trail.

If you want to swing by my place after your run let me know. I will be hanging out in the garage swapping out my rear drive shaft for one this is actually balanced and doing some routine maintenance.

Sweet, I should probably have an area map anyways. I'm at work and don't have my Charles Wells guidebook with me, but do you know if he covers Forest Falls at all in the "Southern California Guide to backroads and 4x4 trails"? I know Big Bear is in there...

I doubt it, but I don't really know. There isn't any real "offroad 4x4 trails" in or near forest falls. They are all just Forest Service roads that get occassional maintenance. If you want a map that covers the area and don't want to spend any money, just swing by my place and I will let you borrow my map.

Thanks, I was going to ask if you wanted to come with us...I'll stop at the Ranger Station so that I have a copy since we'll visit more than once! :D

PM your cell or desired CB channel and I'll try to contact you after our run!

i may be up to take u guys up the angelus oaks road sunday let me talk to the wifey

ok here is my cell number i'm gonna wake up and head to brads to deliver that jerry can for john....

909-two two two - 0310

after that we can go run.. its a short trail but we can stop at the angeles oaks store at the end of the trail then run it back down lol and you can hike the stream areas after.....

Cool man. They want to ride a trail and get out and hike a few spots. Stop for lunch on the trail too

Did you end up doing the Angleles Oaks run? 91blackbox was up earlier today droping off the Jerry Can for John. Did you and him meet up later? Also, not sure if you will get this, but I just finished watching the Laker game and am now heating up the bar-b-q. The offer to stop by is still open. I will make extra food just in case and if you don't stop by then I have great bait for my trail cam.

Hey! I gave you a call tonight bu I had ZERO cell reception up there. We went to Big Falls and then cruised up to Angeles. We went to Seven Oaks? Down 'middle control road'? And had a group lunch at the river.

I'll preplan it next time as we were 3 vehicles and a big group. Sorry I was incommunicado! I just go off the phone with blackbox and we'll meet up soon

naw brad didnt find them but spoke to garret and they all made it ok.. wish i would of seen this earlier i would of brought some meat up and kicked it with u

Back