• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

rear end gears

"ok" is relative. Sure it will work fine, but (assuming you have a stick) you'll be slipping the clutch more.

If you're mechnically inclined, swap in a set of axles out of an auto. You'll gain 3.55 gearing.

You can do it. You're really pushing it but I've seen plenty of stock xjs with 31s. There is a lot on the subject, search around and you'll get plenty of opinions.

im on 3.07s and 33s atm and it suuuuucks. i got it set up that way ive benn changing shit as i go. got an 8.8 with 3.73s about to go in and a set of 3.73 fronts ready to go too

i had 3.07 gearing with 31's in my 89 for about 8-10 months.

it was doable, but i hated it. i geared to 4.10 and could not be happier.

Same as above. My jeep had 3.07 and 31s for the first year I had it. I assume it is a stick, as I do not believe any autos came with those gears (I think).
I wheeled quite a bit with them and it did suprisingly well. The torque-y straight 6 kept it moving pretty nicely, to my suprise.

They aren't bad, but you will not be beating many people off the line at lights.

If you want lots of speed or do any technical wheeling, you will not like it :D

O.K.- That really sux. Turning wrenches is not my forte. So can I just buy a set of gears and have them installed? Or should I look for a whole new rear.
Do I have to re- gear the front also? Or.... should I just do a 2" lift and run smaller tires. Do I need to know the specific gears to put a locker in the front? I know it's a d-30.
Sorry this post is a little scattered- long , busy day at work and I'm super tired. Just have alot of thoughts in my head - I want to do this right the first time.

you will have to regear the front to match if you ever plan on using your 4 wheel drive again. Yes im sure you could pay a shop to regear the axles but you can expect to pay extra with the axles in the vehicle. You need to know if the gears are on the low or high side of the carrier break for the locker. you will also need to know if it is low or high pinion or vacuum disconect or non-disco. You could just do the lower lift and less tire if you wanted. its all up to YOU. It depends on how much you want to spend. less lift and smaller tire being the cheaper alternative

i say do it. if it bothers you, re-gear.
3.07, you probably have a MT? if so, it will be driveable, but non ideal.

i cant justify the smaller tires, 31's are a bare minimum tire for jeeps, imho. down the road, pickup 4.10's out of a small engine cherokee.

So should I just grab both the front and rears out, or, could I get away with grabbing the guts out of the differentials? What would be the easiest? Really starting to understand Just Empty Every Pocket.

its easiest to swap the entire axles over. and in many cases its also the cheapest way aswell. many times its cheaper to buy the entire axle from the junk yard as it is to buy the parts you need. i would find a doner at the junk yard with the 3.55 gears, buy both axles, and swap them over.this way you also will have spare axle shafts for all four corners of your jeep. not to mention spare brake parts. down time would be minimum aswell. a win win.

31's and only 3.07 gears??? Id go with at least a 3.55 or better yet a 3.73 gear ratio.
3.73's work very nice for me even for just light wheeling. Not much difference in mileage, either.

The front will need a new carriage for some gears if you just regear yours. So in your case switching dif would be cheaper/faster.
Also if you do any towing or run heavily loaded new gears are a must with bigger tires. I tow a lot and run 3.73 with 235/75/15 and love them.
MPG around town can be about the same, You will just use the next gear up sooner so your total ratio will be about the same. Don't forget the Speedo gear from the donor to keep your speedometer up to spec.

im gonna guess your in columbia? If you get to the point that you need the gears installed i'll give you the number for the guy that did mine.

I do live in Columbia, how could you tell? LOL! Who did your gears? I am running into trouble on finding people to help me out on this. Everybody that I've talked to say " Leave it alone!" or " don't f%^k with it" . I'd like to talk to you later but right now it's trout time!!!!!

Back