• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

getting new hub ass. vs. getting new wheel bearings

blackdoutxj

NAXJA Forum User
hey i have bad wheel bearings and i need to change them very soon, i was just wondering if i should just change the bearings( which i will most likely just do) or get a whole new hub?! and when do u now when u need a whole new hub 2?!

The bearing and hub is one assembly. It's called a "unit bearing". Search for it here, there is a TON of information.

The unit bearings are exactly the same for 2 and 4 wheel drive cherokees. I even second guessed myself and checked the part numbers while writing this post.

blackdoutxj said:
hey i have bad wheel bearings and i need to change them very soon, i was just wondering if i should just change the bearings( which i will most likely just do)...
when you figure that out you let me know

Rev Den said:
Oddly enough my FPM shows a servicable bearing for 2WD, at least to 90....so the question is..is it 2X or 4X? And what year?

Rev

That's interesting. I'll admit I clicked "1991" in the part search, not really thinking about year.

I can confirm that there are 2 different designs on 2wd axles. My '89 2wd MJ had spindles and hubs w/ serviceable bearings. The later ones use a 4wd unit bearing with a short stub shaft to provide bearing preload. As a side note, these 2wd stubs are useful for trail repairs if you break a shaft and need something to hold the UB together while limping off the trail.

Lawn Cher' said:
I can confirm that there are 2 different designs on 2wd axles. My '89 2wd MJ had spindles and hubs w/ serviceable bearings. The later ones use a 4wd unit bearing with a short stub shaft to provide bearing preload. As a side note, these 2wd stubs are useful for trail repairs if you break a shaft and need something to hold the UB together while limping off the trail.

Indeed, I used to have one of those hubs - thats why I was so sure they are the same design. :)

I was unaware they used to use a spindle.. that's interesting.

2waxle.jpg

its 4wd, but i thought u can open the hub ass. and take out the old bearings and seals and put in new or do i have to buy new hub ...the price difference is huge, bearings $48 each side + seals for bearing or $175 each side give or take for the whole hub, so im just tryin to save money here, shit id love to just buy the whole hub but im low on cash:/!

o and ps, its a 92' dana 30

ok so i take it i need 2 new hubs then?!? and do ya know any place that sells em for a low price?! thanx 4 the help:)!

75 is insanely cheap, about half of what they cost around here.

Back