• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Turning the wheel makes a hissing sound

adw595

NAXJA Forum User
So I finally bought the jeep of my dreams yesterday, its a 1999 Cherokee sport completely stock, and although i don't know much about the mechanics of it now, i really want to learn. I thought i could start with this hissing sound i get when i turn the wheel. once i stop turning the wheel the noise goes away... it actually sounds like a sigh... any ideas what this could be?
-Thanks

Welcome to the fun of jeeps! Your problem sounds to me like its low on power steering fluid. I would recommend doing a fluid change on everything on the jeep. (oil, trans, diffs, blinker fluid, exc :))

Definitely check power steering.

Yep, check the steering.

I have always changed all fluids on any used vehicle I've purchased, changed the belts, flushed the radiator, changed the thermostat, radiator hoses, heater hoses.

My 98 does this SAME EXACT THING!!!!!! Has ever since I got it in Feb. The first thing I thought of was the fluid level, so I checked.....it was full AND clean!

Any other ideas? My 99 NEVER did this!

The only problem with that is it's not a whine. It's a distinct hissing sound coming from the steering column area. Also I don't have a power steering leak and the fluid is clean and full!

pump could be on the way out... it happens. Have someone else turn the wheel while using a mechanic's stethoscope to narrow down the location, my bet is the pump.

Well if it's the pump it's been on the way out for 12 years and 78k miles because the original owner said it did it brand new and has always dine it. The dealer never could find out why. It doesn't affect the way it drives or anything but I just thought someone might have an idea as to what's causing it.

The noise is most likely from the valving in the steering gear. It's caused by a high flow of oil passing through a small opening. Nothing to worry about if the steering is functioning correctly.
When the wheel isn't being turned the valving is centered returning the oil to the pump.
Like mentioned above-It's a good idea to change the fluid. This would be a good time to add a small cooler.

Back