• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Borgeson Heavy duty steering shaft opinions....

XJJD

NAXJA Forum User
Getting sick of replacing my lower steering shaft when that neoprene joint goes out. Has anyone ever used a Borgeson? Just wanted to get some opinions before I drop 280.00 on one. Thanks JD

P.S. I'm running a PSC steering box with a c-rok frame support. if it makes any difference. stock tires and rims for now.

I had one on a CJ cus I had all sorts of fabbed up components and huge tires. Never seemed to need one on the XJ, original is still holding on well. You might look to why you are wearing out that joint (misalignment) first before you drop all that coin.... Good Luck

I'm running the Borgeson steering shaft and love it. Steering is more responsive on the rocks and that sucker gives me piece of mind unlike the stock POS. I'd recommend it.

Thanks guys I'm gonna go for it I guess I just have a thing for needle bearings ooh yea. JD

I've wondered if there's a way to add the u. joints at that place in the intermediate shaft or if it can at least be beefed up somewhat cheaply. I think that's all that's wrong with my steering.

Will it still be able to collapse? (I haven't really taken a great look at the steering shaft, so that may be a stupid question.)

The borgenson shaft is telescoping and will collapse in an accident similar to the stock one.

Thanks, XJCreeper I ordered it from Summit saved like 60 bucks, should be here this week, can't wait. JD

Have fun installing it. IIRC the upper connection at the steering wheel end will require a hole to be drilled to keep the shaft from slipping off. Things are tight in this area so I used a long drill bit from underneath to accomplish this. All this should be cover in the instructions that come with the shaft. Good luck!

The one they sent me has set screws with lock nuts on them supposedly I should be able to slide it onto the steering column shaft then tighten down the set screw on a flat side of the steering column shaft. My xj is a 93. Does this sound right? Why would I need to drill a hole? Thanks JD

Sorry it took so long to get back to you. The install was pretty easy I do remember it telling me I needed to drill a hole or something but I never did need to.

The ends of the shaft were installed on the opposite sides of the shaft when I recieved it, that puzzled me for a min or so but I just loosened the lock nuts then allen keys and swiched em.

I do remember one of the allen bolts at the top was too long and I had to cut it down or it was going to hit the brake booster.

It's working great smooth no more steering slipping to worry about.

Make sure you paint the shaft or it will rust mine has surface rust already and I live in AZ where nothing rusts, gonna have to pull it off and paint it. Don't know why I didn't think of that.

Lock tight the Allen bolts and the lock nuts with at least blue worked good for me so far.

Zip tie end on the rubber boot rubs against my rusty's poly motor mount and makes an annoying sound while turning need to file it down,

All in all probably should have just welded my stock one would have been less hassle but oh well bragging rights.

Glad it worked well for you too :cheers:

You so right about about all the details you listed. I didn't paint mine and it started to rust. PITA to paint it after it's installed. :doh:

Back