• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How much can stock springs sag?

HenryKrinkle

NAXJA Forum User
The '88 has REALLY saggy coils and leafs. The leafs sit about flat and the coils are so soft the front is actually lower by a couple inches. I need to be a little higher, but this is a daily driver and I want to keep a low COG. Right now I'm on 31's with fenders trimmed and the saggy springs.

I found a set of springs from an '01 xj and am thinking about using them. Anyone know a good way to measure so I can compare regular stock to my worn out stock? Anyone care to guess how much sag can happen?

Thanks a bunch...

How many miles are on the 01? If the miles are not excessive, and the price is reasonable, they could be a good option versus new springs. Try to find a good deal on new shocks as well.

As for sag, yes both fronts and rears can sag a few inches easily.

If you have any doubts about the condition of the rear spring bushings, replace them before you swap springs.

matt

Sounds good, I'll see how much he thinks they're used. I know they came off for a lift.

Anybody with good stock springs care to measure up to bumpers for me to give me an idea of what to expect? Are the bumpers in the same place throughout the years? Mine's an '88...

I don't really think you can tell if they're sagging without seeing them on the Jeep. I have a 2000, and replaced mine because they were sagging A LOT. They had 110,000 miles on them. You might want to look into putting a 2" lift on it. It will still have a low COG and will probably not sag as much over time. Just throw in some V8 grand cherokee coils and some 2 inch rear leafs. They ride and handling on that set up is better than stock in my opinion. Not to mention, it will look much better.
Heres some pics of how bad I was sagging before lifting. this is with 29" tires.

l_b5a96b08ca524e7787e7adb5027bdbc8.jpg

l_8c1c9af43eaf4fd6941057827e57006c.jpg

i too am keeping my low COG and used 94 grand v-8 coils with an extra isolator and 99 durango leaves that i mixed into my pack for a total of 5 leaves and it rides pretty good for a 100 dollar lift. the stock numbers are 17.5 inches from center of hub to bottom of flare for the front and 17- in the back i think. maybe wrong

Thanks for the tips. I was thinking bastard pack to save some cash, but with new center bolt, liners, retainer clips, and bushings I'd be getting into about $100 already. I will try to get this spring set locally. If they are in good shape I'll just try to run them, otherwise it'll become a XJ/XJ bastard pack and maybe a 2" poly spacer in front.

Still curious if anyone has a stock measurement from somewhere other than fenders. My fenders aren't stock any more- bumpers are though...

Thanks

Back