• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

6 inch on a DD

scarecrow

NAXJA Forum User
hey all new guy here from SE PA. before yall hit me with SEARCH i already did i found some info but not what i was looking for. i just picked up a 98 XL classic today. i want to run 6 inches on it w/ 35s. right now i am leaning towards the short arm kit. the jeep will probally see off road 6 times a year. and nothing hard core just playing around at rausch creek off road park. most of its life will be spent on the pavement. seeing about 12k to 15k miles per year will the short arm kit be ok for me? no matter what it will be better than my old truck 17 inches and 44 boggers...lol also i was gonna go with 4.88s in it and lockers front and rear. i just dont know what kinda lockers yet and i dont know what mfg of lift yet...what do yas think???

My .02 on short/long arm...I have a 4.5" lift that started out as a short arm kit. I only run a 31" tire as it is my DD and stock gears. I recently upgraded to a long arm kit and it was the best decision I have ever made! The ride with the short arm was tolerable but the long arm just put the icing on the cake. I live in an area where the roads are horrible and with the long arm I hardly notice most of it. And since upgrading to the long arm my fiance actually likes riding in the jeep now. I say if you have the slightest inclination about getting a long arm go for it as you will more than likely end up upgrading in the future, or go with drop brackets. Hope this helps and like I said its just my opinion.

I say definely long arm if it's more a dd and invest in some good shocks to still enjoy the ride and on 35 you probably upgrade the rear axle to a 8.8 or a Dana 44 definely don't run the Dana 35 And beef up the front axle up maybe some 760x joint In the axle shafts as far as the locker go selectable so you won't lose that "comfortable stock feelin " but as gears go I say 4.88 you will enjoy... Don't forget you definely need a sye

I run short arms with RE drop brackets and Edelbrock shocks. Ride is amazing. I'm sure it's comparable with long arms but much cheaper if you pick up the drop arms used like I did. Plus you can start off with short arms by themselves then add drop brackets. For lockers with extended street use you probably want selectables like ARBs. Also 4.88 for mostly street use seems a bit deep. I'd probably stay at 4.56.

Go 4.88s you can't go to deep. If you got the coin long arm if not run drop brackets. I would run aussies front and rear. ARBs are too expensive and from what I've seen not reliable. Ditch the D35 if you have one, if you have a 8.25 run it.

long arms, you will need them. unless you actually enjoy driving in something that rides like shit. with the 17"/44's comment, that might just be the case!

welcome to the board.

I wheel my DD once a month here in the midwest. Mostly trails and mud here nothing too crazy like out west. I have 6" lift, RCX drop brackets, HD shackle relocation bracket and RE shocks. Ride is pretty silky.

Like Gradysjeep said run Aussies on both ends and maybe throw in Tera Flex's 2Lo

i DD mine on nearly 6" of lift and short arms. the ride isnt too bad IMO. but im picking up used drop brackets tomorrow for a good deal.

Drop brackets or long arms for sure. Im at around 6" longarmed on 35's on my dd and plan on going 4.56s on this one or a new one if I head that direction. I also wheel up at Rausch a maybe a few times a year. You will need a sye, driveshaft, maybe steering and a new rear axle depending on what you have (Im guessing a 29spl. 8.25 which isnt too bad). It's not as simple as slapping on the kit and going but Im sure you know that with your prior vehicle on 44's lol.

man now i know why i always did solid axle chevys cheap and easy! i think i understand the jeep thing its freakin expensive...lol...if i go with a 4 or 4.5 inch kit instead will i still need a SYE?? and is the 4.5 kit more streetable than the 6? i dont plan on keeping this thing so i am trying to do it cheap. so instead of 6 w/ 35s what about 4 w/ 33s. i do wanna run those nice looking fiberglass cutouts and that site says i can run 35s with 4inches. the rear in my xj is the 8.25. thanks for the info everyone keep it comming.

Drop brackets or long arms for sure. Im at around 6" longarmed on 35's on my dd and plan on going 4.56s on this one or a new one if I head that direction. I also wheel up at Rausch a maybe a few times a year. You will need a sye, driveshaft, maybe steering and a new rear axle depending on what you have (Im guessing a 29spl. 8.25 which isnt too bad). It's not as simple as slapping on the kit and going but Im sure you know that with your prior vehicle on 44's lol.

i have built alot of trucks and wheeled em all i had a 93 yj years ago with stock 30 and 35 running 37 boggers dident break anything in the time i had that. i dont push my limits and i know when to say im stuck i need help.. now i see your point it would be nice to beat the hell out of it and drive it home but i have a 2 year old mouth to feed and 1 on the way so i cant afford to hit the trails like a hammerhead....:laugh:

Back