• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

engine wont stay running

kcclark

NAXJA Forum User
i have a 1987 xj 4.0 auto my problem i turn the key engine starts and dies as soon as i let off the key i i hold it in the starting position it will run but ass soon a i let off it dies i have replaced the ballast resistor and the gnition switch i have been told to go through mt nutrel saftey switch but dont know if that would cause my problem please help!!!:rattle:

Most likely the fuel pump relay is bad.

Key ON, you get a 3-second "prime" of the fuel pump from the B Latch relay, then it is cut off by the ECU.

Key START the fuel pump gets power from the starter relay.

Key ON, engine running from idle to just short of WOT the fuel pump gets its power from the fuel pump relay.

Key ON, engine at WOT, fuel pump power is from the oxygen heater relay.

Check the fuel pump relay.

have swaped all relays and ran direct power to the fuel pump and still same problem really scratching my head now as soon as i turn the key to run it goes dead

Well, check the adjustment of the ignition switch at the foot of the steering column, it is possible that when you return the key to the ON position the ignition switch is hitting OFF.

I have adjusted that as well for some reason I'm not getting ignition onec I put the key to the run position really is boggling me

I have adjusted that as well for some reason I'm not getting ignition onec I put the key to the run position really is boggling me
check all the vacume hoses around the air box. also the map sensor on the fire wall.. and there is another vacume switch of some sort on the drivers fender behind the air box

im thinking maby it has a factory alarm system i dont know about how do i figure out if i have one and how do i bypass it?

No factory alarm on an '87 that I know of.

Try bypassing the ballast resistor. It's bypassed on START but reduces the voltage to the FP in RUN to quiet it down a bit. You can simply connect the 2 wires together and see if it continues running.

That and Joe's suggestion on the IGN switch.

im thinking maby it has a factory alarm system i dont know about how do i figure out if i have one and how do i bypass it?
if it has one try locking all the doors and then opening it from the fornt passenger door un lock all the doors from that door assuming that its pwr locks.....

Back