• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tire/Brakes Smoking

96NYXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Driving yesterday i noticed my brakes starting to pull the car to the left slightly. It went away and then today i was driving home and smell the smell you get with fresh brakes/rotors when they are burning. I pull over and the right front tire is smoking pretty bad. I had my brakes and rotors serviced less then a year ago. I have no idea what it could be from.

I have a 96 with 3" lift on 31's. RE track bar and quick disco's. Thats all for the front end.

It could be a seized caliper. I have had it happen before, and it makes you pull to whichever side is seized. Take the wheel off and see if the caliper is locked down tight over the rotor. You may need to replace the whole caliper, I got away with just cleaning mine really well, but that isn't really the best thing to do, since I hear it can do it again if it has seized once. But 3 years later, it hasn't happened again. Good luck.

Yup, happened to me twice. Once for each side. Easiest thing to do is just replace the caliper. They aren't too expensive after the core charge

Usually the ABS light is on and now it is off. The sensors on the front axle shafts are messed up and there is no way it could be working is it possible that could be part of the problem? Or maybe the buldb finally died?

Sounds like a caliper to me as well. Re-manufactured ones will run you about $20 a piece with around a $10-15 core charge.

Seeing as how it sounds like your brakes got really hot, might not hurt to throw some new pads on the front as well. I would also inspect the rotor to see if its been visibly damaged in any way (i've seen them start to break off in chunks from getting very hot).

You should always replace brake hardware in pairs... it's one of those things you don't want to mess with. I paid approximately 170 dollars for the new brake hardware for the dana 30 I threw in my MJ a month or so ago, that was new rotors, reman'd calipers with pads preloaded from rockauto, new rubber lines, speed bleeders, and some new steel line that I had to put on to replace old rusty line.

That's also before core charge (10 per side.) I still haven't gotten my core charge back because I pulled a 2wd beam out which had different brake hardware on a 91, so I'm pretty sure they won't give me my core charge if I return those.

Back