• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

SYE swap

homebrew

NAXJA Forum User
Im getting a t-case with sye installed from a buddy, he said it is making noises and should be rebuilt, I would like to mingle it with my current t case to get my sye done on the cheap. Im a nub when it comes to this, what would be required?

Just get a 231 rebuild kit assuming that its a 231 it will include all the bearings and seals that would be needed. You must inspect the shifter forks to make sure the plastic pads aren't worn and also that the chain isn't stretched in my case my chain was stretched and rubbing also the plastic pads on the shifter fork had worn down to the metal so it was really noisy a simple rebuild to do tho. Also if you have a sye like advanced adapters or something of that nature the rear output shaft bearing will be different than the one included in the rebuild kit I believe not 100% sure but I think they use a different bearing than the stock shaft but you'll be able to get a number off the outer race of the bearing and order one if it is different.

Im looking to take the sye out of his and put it into mine, rather than rebuilding it.

Then just disassemble both and swap the sye to your case simple as that. I would replace bearings and seals while its apart but thats just me. If you meant by whats required as in tools then a set of snap ring pliers and 1 1/8" socket for the nuts on the front and rear output shaft as well as basic tools sockets and wrenches.

Last edited:
picking it up tomorrow hoping to have it done in the next few days Thanks Sean

You are going to want some lock ring pliers : http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00947386000P

I remember needing the snap ring pliers as well on mine, but they werent neccesary on julios. Must have been under that stupid dust sheild on the 96+ 231

Dont bother taking the 231 out of the new jeep. Check the Teraflex website for a set of instructions. All these kits are the same, So since I spent more for the kit with good instructions I feel obligated to share the weatlth :)

Back