• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Carburettor Improvements

Flying Jester

NAXJA Forum User
I have the Chevy 2.8l 2v in my 85 cherokee. The Rochester carb has a lot (a LOT) of vacuum lines coming off of it. They can't all be necessary, can they? Are there any I can safely block off? Are there any popular and/or cheap mods for the Rochester carb?

The Chevy V6 in general?

It seems pretty peppy right now, but I know it could be better.

(And I don't consider swapping in a 4 litre a viable option for a free cherokee with dead 4WD).

Yep, most of those lines aren't needed--you must have missed the meeting when the accountants told the engineers that there wasn't enough money being spent during production and they needed to slap some useless stuff on the XJ V6 engine to bring the production costs up.

Just kidding.

The 2.8 doesn't have a good rep for durability or power, but free is a good thing. Why not drive it till she pukes then swap in a bigger V6?

But if I could just cap off some useless tubes...shouldn't that be an improvement? And an easy one, at that? The way things go, I am rolling in spare parts from 2.8L V6s (No joke, once I did literally roll in them, I tripped in the junkyard.)

Back