• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

broken lower p/s rear shock mount

Bxresq

NAXJA Forum User
Ive had several xjs so I knew in advance about replacing the rear shocks
in perparation for adding a lift. Par for the course, I broke all 4 upper bolts even after 2 weeks of pb blaster and heat. Those are fixed, however even though one lower mount nut came off clean, the p/s bolt snapped. Part of the bolt is smooth and that part is still connected to the rear axle mount. It snapped where the threads start, even after 2 weeks of pb blaster and heat.
Ive had the top bolts snap but never the bottom bolts. Does anyone know how to repair this fairly cheap as I only paid $800 for the cherokee. I did do a search but came up empty. Im sure I can have someone remove the axle mount and weld in a new one but that sounds costly.
Thanks in advance

i cut off the old stud then drilled out the rst of the stud on mine and used a 5/8 bolt and big washer, worked great

drivers side mount
207.JPG

Last edited:
Was thinking about both of those ideas, was looking to see it anyone had suceeded. Thanks for to you both prompt responses and pic, I now have tommorows project.

I just ran into the same thing this weekend and drilled out a hole and used a grade 8 5/8th bolt. We shall see how it holds up but I think it'll be more than fine.

You can buy a replacemant stud at most auto stores for about 5$ for a pair!

i did the same thing and just cut a 1/2 bolt down and beveled, welded it on and put 1 extra washer to compensate for the weld...been 4 years now still holding.

Back