• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

HELP.

kaden.

NAXJA Forum User
Lately my jeep has been cutting out almost like its starving for fuel when it gets a little past a half tank. it seems to do it when its under a load (higher speeds). when i pull over it idels just fine but when you give it a little gas it cuts out like its starving for fuel. but if i turn it off then turn it back on it runs fine?

Its a 97, 4.0, auto

could it be that the mesh filter is clogging the fuel pump when the fuel level gets that low. or do you think its a crank shaft postion sensor?

could it be that the mesh filter is clogging the fuel pump when the fuel level gets that low. or do you think its a crank shaft postion sensor?

In my experience the CPS/CKP crank sensor is run/die/no start, even when in the early stages of a thermal failure.

Get a fuel pressure gauge and when it is symptomatic check the pressure. You can hook up the gauge and leave it attached while driving around, just secure it safely out of the way (or go GHETTO and duct tape it to the windshield) so you can see what is going on.

ill give it a try.. i was just thinking also i dont have a cat in it. its just got a straight pipe with a bung in it for the 02 sensor. could this be couseing it?

Having a cat or not can't make a difference if you are sure that the half tank of gas makes a difference. If that is really correct, it has to be the fuel pump, filter, or hose connecting the pump inside the tank.

Back