• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Walbro 255 LPH

AdamGBabcock

NAXJA Forum User
(I seriously used the search and read many posts so please don't kill me lol !!!1)

My fuel pump makes an annoying whining sound and might be the contributer to my jeep sputtering and not climbing past 2000 RPM's after running for about 10 minutes. A friend happens to have a walbro 255 lph brand new in his garage. Is this high flow going to require any other mods to use?

Thanks in advance,
Adam

Im trying to remember from my Turbo car days.........you might need a fuel return line......but those setups always had the fuel pressure regulator on the fuel rail not in the pump assembly.

I could be completely wrong, so dont shoot me.

Haha, the walbro 255 was purcahsed for a turbo-car... I Know I can get an inline FPR pretty cheap, but was hoping maybe the Jeep controlled it already. I was told by o'reilly that the factory throws out 45 gallons per hour. I know I don't use 45 gallons per hour so something has to be regulating somewhere... will the regulator handle the increase in flow?

What year is your XJ?

95 and down have the fuel pressure regulator on the fuel injector rail, with a return line from it back to the tank. 96 and up have the fuel pressure regulator built into the pump assembly in the tank.

What pressure does the walbro put out? As long as it's more than is required, you can find a way to make it work... if it's only a little above stock (don't remember numbers, I know joe_peters has posted them a few times, search and you should find that stuff) for your year, just run it. If it's significantly above stock, you'll want an FPR inline with it.

I have a 1990. The factory is 45 gph (170.34353 lph) and the one I want to put in is 255 lph.

Are you sure your not confusing GPH w/ PSI?

The walbro I believe pumps out 255 lph at 43 psi at 12v. Can't tell you if the Jeep regulator can handle that much flow. Most likely will have to upgrade it. Worst that can happen if it can't is a really rich mixture.

I'm running a drop-in walbro 255lph in my 96 w/ 4.6. It whined from day one--just another noise to add to the loud exhaust, clicking injectors, and dual electric fans.:shhh: It was like $80-90, so just a tad bit more than a cheap replacement pump. I do need to measure the pressure and see where it's at.

Back