• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Power Steering Question

AdonisScout

NAXJA Forum User
I did a search but couldn't find what I needed. So.. Every two weeks something new goes wrong with my XJ as soon as I fix whatever went out before... Oh well. My power steering went from running smooth to whinny, to bubbly fluid. I check the level everyday and it's usually right on but just bubbly. There is a tiny tiny leak on one of the lines, but like I said I've been repairing more pressing things and just haven't got to it yet. Now things are getting worse. Power steering is intermediate.. almost gone actually and really only works when the throttle is down. I have to use it to get to work and intend to replace ASAP but waiting for money as always. (paid in 2 1/2 weeks)My question is, is there anything I can do to prevent it from burning up and seizing up the whole belt (single belt). If that happened I would be stranded and don't want to do further damage to the vehicle. It's an 88 4.0 4x4, single accesory belt with the resivor pump(plastic cap). Will it survive as long as there is fluid even if it's not assistaning the turning?? It's really not to hard to turn compared to heavier trucks I've had.

I'm just new to Jeeps and don't want to drive ignorant.. Thanks

Well, that "frothy" mess may not be the root of the problem, but it is why your steering is going out and its responsible for at least some of the noise. The PS fluid needs to without air mixed in--law of hydraulics.

How long is it going to last? No way to tell.

BTW, PS fluid when misting (like from your leak) becomes highly flammable.

I would turn in the soda cans and bottles, check the couch, look under the seats in the XJ and in the ashtray, and put on your best "baby kitten" expression and see what the best deal is that you can get at a salvage yard BEFORE it gets worse and costs you more.

Good luck.

Yeah.. I figure. Just kinda wondering if there was anything about Jeeps that may be unusual.. since I've been learning they are very different than anything else I've had...lol.

The 1st I'll be switching it out. I learned if I run it about two tblspoons or so above full it works fine for about two days..otherwise it just doesn't work at all. I pray that'll last the next 15 days. I know it's dumb, but I've just spent $$hundreds$$ in repairs and then this just went! But once I'm done with things it'll be a sweet Jeep.

OH.. and thanks for letting me know that's flammable.. I didn't know! I'll do what I can to quarantine any leaks away from heat.

Back