• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

OME or RE suspension kit? Need some advice building a new to my XJ!

njjeepthing

NAXJA Forum User
I tired searching for some comparison posts, but didn't find much, apparently the search function doesn't like OME!

So anyway, it's been a few years since I've been in the Cherokee world, I've had in the past a 96/98/01. I am now purchasing an 01 after playing in the TJ and JK world the last few years.

My question is which lift kit to purchase? I had a RE 3.5 on my 01, I can't remember if it was a Superride or Superflex kit, but it was decent. I know OME is know for their on road ride quality. But what are you guys/gals seeing working the best out there in the real world. I talked to my local shop today about the RE kits, and they are telling me that I don't need new full packs, the Jeep is an 01 with 45 k on it, and the rear leafs look pretty flat to me, they are telling me just an AAL will work. My XJ will be used for mostly trails, but will be driven to and from and long distance's, so I want a nice street ride. I play mostly on rocks, blue level trail at Rausch Creek and I plan on running 31's or 245's depending on what wheels I come up with. Also planning on some skids, just don't know which yet, engine, rocker, tcase?

Thanks guys.

If you want OME I suggest Dirk at DPG Off-Road.

Links: http://www.dpgoff-road.com/

http://www.dpgoff-road.com/site/XJkits.htm

I have the OME/DPG 4 inch hybrid kit. It is very complete. I cannot give you a real good eval as I have only ridden in two lifted Cherokees. The other rig had a BDS lift. The BDS rode fine to me. If you tell Dirk how you will use it and what you are going to install then he can pick your best options. My lift is definitely stiffer than stock but I think it rides well for a lifted XJ/SUV/truck. Others might know better.

I say OME/bastard lift.

This ^ is almost the opposite of my experience and from what I have read many others. RE leaves quite often net you 1-2" more than advertised and on mine I had to put a spacer up front to level it out. On my next Cherokee I will be giving Dirk a call to set up a OME/DPG/RE kit for what I need. From what I hear, their kits come complete with what you need and I will be doing my own mix and matched kit through them.

When searching with 3 letter words, add an asterisk (*) as a fourth letter.

Search: OME*

Some forums don't search for 3 letter words.

I ran OME 2" lift on my 01 xj. It rode oustanding. I kick myself for taking off that lift, but I couldn't help it, I was bitten by the bug.

Try this setup, and my personal favorite:

OME 2" Coil Springs
1" coil Spacer
OME 2" leaf springs
OME AAL
OME shocks

It will net you 3" lift and you get that great on road ride. Their AAL increases load carrying capacity without harshing up the ride like traditional AAL's do.

Jason at www.jeepinoutfitters.com sells OME stuff too.

I wanted OME springs for my hybrid lift but ended up buying RE springs instead because OME ran out of lift at 3"... after that have to start doing lift shackles and special add-a-leaf and blah blah I knew I wanted to end up with 4.5-5.5 so the RE 3.5 SF puts me there from the start.

I went with OME shocks all around, OME leafs in the rear, and RE coils up front. I think my coils are a bit stiffer than OME coils, but I've been happy with the setup. After having a super stiff AAL prior to the OME setup, I knew that softer leaf springs were the way to go.

I wanted OME springs for my hybrid lift but ended up buying RE springs instead because OME ran out of lift at 3"... after that have to start doing lift shackles and special add-a-leaf and blah blah I knew I wanted to end up with 4.5-5.5 so the RE 3.5 SF puts me there from the start.

Jason at jeepinoutfitters has informed me that the OME 3" springs are back in stock.

So you cant get an OME spring with more than 3" lift?

The ones jason sells are for 3"-3.5". He also sells the OME AAL which nets about 1" lift without harshing up the ride. I ran the 2" OME HD leaf springs with TWO sets of OME AAL's and got 4". I ran it with a 1.5" shackle for 5.5" rear lift.

Screw all this RE/OME BS, get the Iron Rock Offroad long arm kit.

Best ride, beefy products, and guaranteed for life!

Kidding, if I was you I would get a kit from DPG. They seem to be the best at piecing together a good bastard lift kit.

Last edited:
Yeah I wanted 4" and I thought Dirk @ DPG would give me OME with an add-a-leaf but he said they don't have sufficient spring rate for the height and get tippy. I decided not to argue with him and bought RE springs.

Weird cuz he was the one who told me he himself and others run the OME pack with two AAL's in it for 4"+.

Interesting thread here about OME/DPG.

FWIW: I have the 4 inch OME/DPG hybrid lift on my XJ. It is all OME spring in the back. It came with 2 leaf springs and two add a leaf springs. I assembled and installed the springs in the back with no shackle changes or spacers and got 4 inches of lift. I would suggest talking to Dirk as he has a way to get 4 inches of lift using just OME springs.

The front coil springs will use a spacer to get 4 inches of lift.

Back