• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

xj not starting shifter outta adjustment

Trail Ready

NAXJA Forum User
Sometimes when I go to start my xj it won't start.I have to mess with the shifter(auto) for a few minutes before it will start.My buddy and I tried to adjust the spring and it worked for a while and then did it again.Then we took the center counsol apart and did the adjustment there too.It worked for a while and now it's acting up again.In other words it seems like the car thinks it's still in gear and won't start.Did I explane this right????

i've had the same problems and have been thinking about removing and cleaning. (reverse lights out, shake shifter to start)
how difficult is the job? i'm not too bad in the garage, the whole adjusting and the end thing is scaring me. the jeeps been running fine lately.

i've had the same problems and have been thinking about removing and cleaning. (reverse lights out, shake shifter to start)
how difficult is the job? i'm not too bad in the garage, the whole adjusting and the end thing is scaring me. the jeeps been running fine lately.

Check the article I linked above to JP Magazine, and you can search for more info on the forum.

Toughest part is getting it off, just use PB Blaster for a few days/a week ahead of time and patience. Use a couple pry bars/screwdrivers/wedge bars and work at it slowly, it will come off.

NOTE: the run about $125+ at the parts stores, so DIY saves mucho bucks.

Back